The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By justhrowit
  • 1 Post By two_nymph_rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:34 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Carp near Cheyenne/Laramie?

Just wondering if some carp can be found around these areas? Went carp fishing back in SD this past weekend, and I could see myself doing it often if the opportunity was available. I don't have a boat, so that pretty much puts the lakes out of question, plus I don't really want to drive 110 miles up to Glendo. Anyone know of an irrigation canals or smaller ponds that hold carp?
Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carp near Cheyenne/Laramie?

Alcova and Pathfinder hold carp and there is a lake just east of Casper. For something closer, I would go into the local Wyoming Game and Fish office and ask. I would think that there must be some carp locally.

Larry

Old 09-14-2013, 10:23 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

If you get real desperate for some carp come on down to Sidney. More carp than you can imagine!

-Chase
Old 09-15-2013, 01:48 PM

brylonaron is on a distinguished road

Try Wheatland Reservoir 3, Hawk Springs Reservoir, Grey Rocks Reservoir. There are carp to catch in many of the Laramie Plains lakes also. Glendo has tons of carp but sometimes they are difficult to get from banks. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:05 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

I have a bunch of giant carp I can see in a pond near my home (ftCollins), but I don't know how to catch them lol!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:07 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslo View Post
I have a bunch of giant carp I can see in a pond near my home (ftCollins), but I don't know how to catch them lol!
Try some dynamite.
Growing up in Missouri, I can remember catching them and something else called buffalo which was basically the same fish. Some times you might hook a really big one and not even realize it until you started reeling.
Didn't know anybody considered carp serious game fish, and definitely not worthy of discussion in the same conversation with trout.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:00 AM

justhrowit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
Try some dynamite.
Growing up in Missouri, I can remember catching them and something else called buffalo which was basically the same fish. Some times you might hook a really big one and not even realize it until you started reeling.
Didn't know anybody considered carp serious game fish, and definitely not worthy of discussion in the same conversation with trout.

I know several people who have actually stopped trout fishing all together in order to chase carp. They are a worthy adversary with a fly. It's not much different than chasing Bonefish on the flats, IMO. They're spooky, big, amd fight like trucks. They're tough to sneak up on, and will test your casting abilities, along with your patience. Many people still consider them trash fish, but that is certainly changing. I love chasing them, personally.
mcnerney and swampdonkey like this.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
Try some dynamite.
you sir have obviously never fished for a carp on the fly. I just went fishing for them the first time last week, and honestly, they are much harder to catch then trout. you have to put the fly basically on their nose without spooking them. There is also no indication that they have taken the fly other than their body might have changed positions. Hard fighting, super spooky, and just a pure blast to catch.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:17 PM

gofisch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
you sir have obviously never fished for a carp on the fly. I just went fishing for them the first time last week, and honestly, they are much harder to catch then trout. you have to put the fly basically on their nose without spooking them. There is also no indication that they have taken the fly other than their body might have changed positions. Hard fighting, super spooky, and just a pure blast to catch.
You're welcome Glad I could show you how awesome carp fishing is. You should just move back to SD.....

Last edited by gofisch; 09-23-2013 at 05:00 PM.