The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 05:41 PM

druguillot is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing spots from Salt Lake City to Jackson Hole

Hey folks,

New to forum and first time post. I have a trip to the Snake River next month and I'm flying into Salt Lake City and driving to Jackson Hole. Not sure if I'm going to take Hwy 30 to 34 or take 189 and follow the Green River. I'd love to hear your thoughts on some spots I should hit on the way up. Any choice streams on either route? Or should I just drive straight to Jackson Hole and fish the streams around there?

Thanks so much!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:07 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing spots from Salt Lake City to Jackson Hole

I will be driving right up through SLC and into idaho and through to St anthony ID. Then up to west jellystone.

Fishing for me will start in Idaho. Then onto Montana.

You're in for a treat.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 PM

freak is on a distinguished road

Maybe the Provo near Park City.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

If you had the time, I would make a stop on the Green below Flaming Gorge Reservoir in Dutch John, UT, you will find way better fishing than in Jackson. If you don't have the time and you decide to come up hwy 189, I would definitely make a stop at the Green below Fontenelle Reservoir and maybe even a stop on the Hoback in the canyon.

Larry
trout trekker and shortyb like this.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:33 PM

leftyg is on a distinguished road

That sounded a bit like a shot in the ribs to the good folks of JAC... Fishing isn't that terrible in JAC. Especially in the fall!!
Old 09-25-2013, 03:58 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyg View Post
That sounded a bit like a shot in the ribs to the good folks of JAC... Fishing isn't that terrible in JAC. Especially in the fall!!
All Larry was trying to do was to help & advise somewhere to Fish en Route as asked which he always does as he knows the area well.
I was in Jackson Hole a couple or so weeks ago with Larry & noticed Road & Bridge Works going on also I must admit Jackson Hole is probably one of The Nicest Towns anyone can visit & being a Tourist destination there's always heaps of people around.
Brian
Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

3 weeks ago I had a great time on Granite Springs creek off the Hoback.
Water was a little low but if it is up fishing will be better. Hoback has great water all over. Try Flat Creek inside the elk refuge just north of Jackson-I did not fish it but I hear of large fish that can spot an artificial fly from a mile away.
If the water is lower and slower on the snake there's beautiful water along river road south of the ranch-better have off road capabilities for that one.
I forget he name of be road and the ranch so that's not very helpful but it's just south of Signal Mountain along an unmarked service road-you'll see a sign that says fishing access. Head south until you see the ranch-about 12-14 miles.
Also
Gros Ventre
And for sure my next time out I will fish oxbow bend. Flat and slow moving and so pretty. Eagles overhead moose munching on greens. Can't get enough of it.
But listen to Larry-he has local knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-04-2013, 11:37 PM

druguillot is on a distinguished road

I'll hit the Green by the Font. reservoir for time sake. Then I'd hit the area around Warren Bridge. I was planning on hitting the Hobeck in the canyon too but I probably won't have bear spray yet. Will I need it there?

Another thought... are the roads closed anywhere?

Last edited by druguillot; 10-05-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 PM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by druguillot View Post
I'll hit the Green by the Font. reservoir for time sake. Then I'd hit the area around Warren Bridge. I was planning on hitting the Hobeck in the canyon too but I probably won't have bear spray yet. Will I need it there?

Another thought... are the roads closed anywhere?
FYI, when I came down 189 this past week the entrance to the Warren Bridge Campground/Rec Area was closed. That was kinda disappointing.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyg View Post
Hi Lefty,

I would take Larry's word on the fishing. He has no reason to disrespect anyone or area but does spend more time fishing his neck of the woods than many folks do. His results are inarguable............

And, welcome to the forum

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;