The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By enolaeagle
  • 3 Post By comeonavs
  • 1 Post By comeonavs
  • 2 Post By chauncey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough
Default The flawless nymph rig

I posted this in the Cold water Section but figured I would post this here too.

At this point in my fly fishing adventures while in Colorado I tend to go towards my 9' 5WT Wright and McGill Boron paired with my Lamson Guru strung with weight forward Scientific Angler Textured GPX line. The reason for this thread is I have read many of Colorado specific articles stating that a properly set-up 4WT can handle large fish and have more reflex in the tip while offering more accuracy especially when running double nymph rigs than a 5WT. These articles have me thinking of switching stuff up.

- Brand?
- Length?
- Weight?
- Reel?
- Line?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The flawless nymph rig

I'll give ya a review in a week or 2...
Im waiting on the complete outfit to arrive but I have my Allen kraken size2 reel with rio gold line ready to go. I'm having a custom built 10ft 4w icon which will ship soon. Im used to all my bigger rods with a fighting butt so they're adding that at no extra charge. I also have a few pilot leaders from Joni for the 10ft rods so Ill be starting a test out day this week and weekend on my 6w rod... then the 4wt when it comes
mridenour likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

As a fellow front ranger, yes I feel a 4wt is the perfect rod for the front range. 8'6" or 9'. I went down the short rod road for a while under the perception of I fish small streams alot and need a shorter rod. I find I take my 9' 4wt in a lot of places I bought a short rod for and I dont have issues.

I currently run a Sage Z-Axis 9' 4Wt,which is a little faster so I use it on bigger rivers, windier areas. I also use a St.Croix Legend Ultra 9' 4wt I use for a lot of nymphing. I also have a Sage TXL 7'10" 4wt that I like a lot but I find I don't use it much now that Ive rekindled my love affair with the legend ultra.

Really any Med-Fast 9' 4wt will serve you well

From TFO,Elkhorn,Redington all the way up the price range to Sage Circa, Winstons etc etc they will serve you well.

Truth be told I spend alot of time with a 3wt rod in my hand. A broomstick 3wt like the Sage One I would have no fear taking to Cheesman, Deckers, Blue etc etc. I would only really fret going to a 5 or 6 wt if I hit the Dream Stream, Grey reef etc etc where you will run in to some real pigs.

Moral to the story I pick my rod based on

1) What I will be throwing, single dry, dry/dropper, Bigger hopper/dropper , streamer
2) Size of fish known to be in the river...I wont take my 1WT to the Northgate Canyon for example
3) WIND !!!!!!!!!!

I landed this guy on a 1wt no problem, 17" little fatty
Click the image to open in full size.

And this stout one out of the blue on a 3wt TXL
mcnerney, mridenour and goblueco1 like this.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 AM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
As a fellow front ranger, yes I feel a 4wt is the perfect rod for the front range. 8'6" or 9'. I went down the short rod road for a while under the perception of I fish small streams alot and need a shorter rod. I find I take my 9' 4wt in a lot of places I bought a short rod for and I dont have issues.

I currently run a Sage Z-Axis 9' 4Wt,which is a little faster so I use it on bigger rivers, windier areas. I also use a St.Croix Legend Ultra 9' 4wt I use for a lot of nymphing. I also have a Sage TXL 7'10" 4wt that I like a lot but I find I don't use it much now that Ive rekindled my love affair with the legend ultra.

Really any Med-Fast 9' 4wt will serve you well

From TFO,Elkhorn,Redington all the way up the price range to Sage Circa, Winstons etc etc they will serve you well.

Truth be told I spend alot of time with a 3wt rod in my hand. A broomstick 3wt like the Sage One I would have no fear taking to Cheesman, Deckers, Blue etc etc. I would only really fret going to a 5 or 6 wt if I hit the Dream Stream, Grey reef etc etc where you will run in to some real pigs.

Moral to the story I pick my rod based on

1) What I will be throwing, single dry, dry/dropper, Bigger hopper/dropper , streamer
2) Size of fish known to be in the river...I wont take my 1WT to the Northgate Canyon for example
3) WIND !!!!!!!!!!

I landed this guy on a 1wt no problem, 17" little fatty

And this stout one out of the blue on a 3wt TXL

Thank you for the information. My true fear of nymphing with a 4WT is 5+ pound fish on 6X tippet which is 99% of what I throw when fly fishing. I will have to do some more research to solidify what I am going to purchase.

Out of curiosity, what is the largest (weight wise) fish that you have landed on a 4WT?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:46 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblueco1 View Post
Thank you for the information. My true fear of nymphing with a 4WT is 5+ pound fish on 6X tippet which is 99% of what I throw when fly fishing. I will have to do some more research to solidify what I am going to purchase.

Out of curiosity, what is the largest (weight wise) fish that you have landed on a 4WT?
Unfortunately I've never caught anything over 18" on the Front Range. I was with my Brother in Law up in Northgate Canyon and landed a 21" rainbow on a 3wt rod with 6x tipper using just a size 22 RS2.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My true fear of nymphing with a 4WT is 5+ pound fish on 6X tippet which is 99% of what I throw when fly fishing
That's what drag is for =)

This guy was caught on my 9ft 4wt on the blue just below the dam on 6x tippet by my father in law who had never fly fished a day in his life (on a size 20 rs2)

Im actually considering moving down to a 10 or 11 foot 3wt for fishing the front range as 99% of the fish I catch are under 15 inches. But I am very confident that even if I hooked up a 18+ the rod would be very capable of handling it and would probably be the best fight of my life =)
fredaevans and comeonavs like this.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

10' 4wts can handle some decent-sized fish. I've been foolish and cast at passing carp when fishing with my 4wt, and with the right technique you can land fish well over 5lb without taking too long and harming the fish. The extra length will help protect the tippet as well. I find myself squeezing the 10'er in even when i should be using some of the shorter options I have.

Sounds like a sweet rig, let us know how it goes!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

You can break 6x tippet on a 4wt rod as easily as you can with a 5wt.

The limiting factor here isn't the rod, but the tippet (the knot, actually). And maybe the fly.

The only advantage I can see to a 5wt rod is casting a long, heavy nymph rig into our Southpark wind. If your 4wt can handle it, fine.

BTW: I fish a 9'5wt 'cuz it's what I got.

CAB