The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 11:06 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing The Mile in October

Night time is a good time to dead drift tight line your meat for the browns. I am usually to tired from fishing all day but when I do it the rewards are Big.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:14 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I am usually too tired at the end of the day to want to fish more. But being able to camp right on the river at the mile, I might get the urge to chuck some meat just after dark close to camp after relaxing for a bit.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:14 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Will for sure get some pics and video! My buddy swears by chucking streamers at night below the dam at Grey Reef. He does seem to catch a lot of BIG browns by doing so.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:51 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

oh man I'm getting jealous reading this! Are you camping or will you stay in some type of lodge or cabin?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:50 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure about Chase, but I will be staying in a tent. Too young and poor to buy a cabin. Also, there are no modern luxuries at the mile, just some campsites with fire pits.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 AM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road

I would love to go fishing, time just doesn't permit it right now. I do have a question about streamers. I have never fished them before and all I have right now is a 4 wt. rod/reel. Are there any streamers that I could fish with using this rod/reel?

Do you dead drift a streamer and then strip it back up the river/stream at the end of the run?

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

Jhardin80, you can throw smaller stuff with a 4 wt, like smaller buggers and spiders and such, but throwing anything with a bit of weight and or sink tip in the wind will be very hard. 6 and 7 wts are recomended for fishing the bigger flies. I can give a quick report on both sections of river, as I was at both sections this weekend. Grey reef at the dam fished well in the evening with all fish taking a black bead head pine squirrell leech or a size 16 annelid. heavier tippet is a must and try to keep the fish out of the weeds. Floating the reef sucked this weekend. So many weeds, and the wind gusted to 45 mph. Rowing was a ***** in the wind and weeds. We only got 6 fish during the float. Headed over to the mile after that. The roads were fine, only because the wind dried them out from the moisture it got on friday. It looked like the roads were a mess on friday from all the rutts left in the road. The mile fished decent early with anelids and cranefly larva taking fish. Then, of course the winds picked up and the fishing went south. Streamer bite was not on at all, had a few browns follow, but that was about it. The guys floating the river throwing streamers told me they were not having success either. It was just just a tough weekend overall for less than 30 fish between us
cochise likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

OK, wow!! is all I can say. The Pigs are moving in. Good bud hit me with a pic of a brown fish that looks to be double digits...Just yesterday!

I am heading that way as soon as this week ends!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
OK, wow!! is all I can say. The Pigs are moving in. Good bud hit me with a pic of a brown fish that looks to be double digits...Just yesterday!

I am heading that way as soon as this week ends!

Pictures man, we need pictures! Mile or the reef?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:27 PM

jmhall87 is on a distinguished road

Where are these 2 places I'm not a local, but I'm going to be in Colorado for my bachelor party. We plan on camping at the riverside campground in 11 mile canyon. Or if the government shutdown screws my out of national forest. I'll be going to arkansas headwaters state area instead