The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 04:24 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fishing The Mile in October

Depending on weather I am planning on making a weekend trip to fish the Mile in mid to late October. If it is wet, I will probably fish the reef because I only drive a little subaru, but regardless. Can I expect to fish the same things I fished in July? I fished mainly red rock worms, leeches, and pat's rubber legs when I was there earlier this year. Can I expect to fish the same things during October? I will also have some egg patterns and some bright orange scuds (maybe egg imitation), and you can bet I will have some big streamers to try and pull a hog. Does much change in the fall, or will the flies I currently have for the north platte still work?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fishing The Mile in October

The big fish are just now starting to move into the mile. It should be loaded and ready by the time you get there. The roads are good so your suby will do fine.

But the reef will be arguably as good but may have a few bigger fish.

Tough call, I like the mile a tad more but I wouldn't pass up either for a dollar.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Your flies are fine, rip streamers then dredge....Rinse and Repeat!
Old 09-28-2013, 04:32 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

If I can, i'm gonna hit the mile for two reasons. From the one trip I made earlier this year, I fished both the mile and the reef. Seemed to me that the mile was easier to wade fish than the reef and I like the free campsites that are at the mile. Also, I love fishing boulders and canyon water, and when I was at the mile the stretch of canyon above the bridge was not fishable because they had just maxed out the flows.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:50 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

If you are not floating I would absolutely fish the mile.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

You need to be fishing streamers in oct. for the big fish. That depends of the weather. But the Mile in oct. I'll be fishing large streamers on a fast strip. Anger big fish. The same goes for the Reef. Check with the platte river lodge and fly store. They will have the go to info.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:06 PM

Fishing big streamers, would you mess around with something as small as 3x, or should I get some 1x or 2x?
Old 09-28-2013, 10:37 PM

Ripping streamers the fish are not leader shy. Go big. Save the heartache.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:46 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Heading to that area on Wednesday. Hope we can get some big browns to come out and play with meaty streamers.

-Chase
Old 09-28-2013, 10:51 PM

I got a pic today of an absolute brute...they are coming. I am envious.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 PM

Be sure to post pictures Chased. Depending on my work schedule, I might have the 10, 11, 12 off from work, so I might try to go for those three days. Should be good by then I would assume. Anyone ever target these big browns at night up there?