The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 06:07 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Default Re: North Platte, WY Fishing Trip

Hi Larry.
Nice Pics of some Beaut Looking Water it's good to see you all had an enjoyable Trip & caught some nice Fish even with The inclement weather .
Those Mirror Carp Have really big Scales & are Slimy as I've caught them over here as well as Their mates The European Carp.
I like where you had your Tent Parked however The Cabin looked a better proposition.
Probably The reason Rod doesn't wear a hat is he has more Hair than The Rest Of Us.
Brian.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4peace1piece View Post
Thanks for posting the report. You gentlemen are die-hards.
Not really, we were in Casper, trapped in a cabin and just had to get outside. You should see some of the winter wx that Kelly and his sons fish in over in Idaho, definitely puts us in the amateur category.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:16 PM

hjw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Not very good, I saw some but the numbers just weren't there yet, but then this was the first real cold wx they have had (at least to my knowledge).

Larry
That's kinda what I was figuring. Will come with time. Thank you! Looks like you had a good trip!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report LarryYou even caught a walleye and a....carphats off!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Rod just emailed me a photo of the big fish he caught, this fish has been living pretty close to the feed trough, it was certainly the biggest fish of the trip:
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry
Hardyreels, cpiercem and mridenour like this.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

As always Larry, awesome report and great pic's!

What a difference a day makes when it comes to weather in the high west!

Rod's rainbow is a real beast... holy smokes.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 AM
mridenour

Awesome fishing report! Looks like a great trip and lots of fun in the snow. Fishing in bad weather is some of the most rewarding fishing there is.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good to have you guys back Larry,

I'm very much aware of how things change overnight. I got down to Anchor Point Sunday, Monday morning was seasonable with the morning low in the upper 30's and the high around 2:00 PM at 44*. I fished from daylight until 2 without a bump and so called the day and made a plan for Tuesday. Rain came Monday evening and pounded the area overnight hard.

With howling winds and sheets of rain coming down Nancy decided to stay at the motel and dropped me off at 7:30 AM. That's about half an hour before daylight at this time. I started down river and even in the dark could see that there was about twice as much river as the day before. I fished a long run in the dark to dawn light and began to wonder what color the water was. By 8:15 you could clearly see that things were up and with color so I walked to the top of the run and gave it one more shot even though the river was muddied. No bump, no fish but a cell phone so I called for an extraction.

So the score between the giant steelhead of The Anchor River and I remains the same, I have been defeated by weather or water conditions on almost every trip but I'm planning one more before the months end.....................

The waking up to a heavy snow and drop in temperature hits you pretty good too but at least your water levels stayed good. I'll take snow over hard rains any day, you guys made the best of it for sure.
mridenour likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2013, 12:24 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

Work has been kicking my butt lately and I haven't been out much this year. Look what I am missing on my doorstep!
Fair play to you guys being out in that storm. Casper got trashed!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeolite View Post
Work has been kicking my butt lately and I haven't been out much this year. Look what I am missing on my doorstep!
Fair play to you guys being out in that storm. Casper got trashed!
Yes, that was quite the storm, glad we had rented a cabin when it hit, felt sorry for the guys camping out on the mile!