The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: North Platte, WY Fishing Trip

you mean guys like me Larry? haha, that was some fishing trip. Next time i'll just catch a ride with Chase and we can all enjoy it together. Might be heading up in a couple weeks.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
you mean guys like me Larry? haha, that was some fishing trip. Next time i'll just catch a ride with Chase and we can all enjoy it together. Might be heading up in a couple weeks.
Give me a shout if you go, I might be able to come over!

Larry

Old 11-15-2013, 12:44 AM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

Well I am off tomorrow so looking to go out in the next few of days. Just in time for some cold weather too. I had a good day 3 weeks ago with some nice fish and a lovely sunny day. That won't happen now. I really have to make the most of the North Platte as I could be heading south next year. So far south I will be out of the trout zone.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeolite View Post
Well I am off tomorrow so looking to go out in the next few of days. Just in time for some cold weather too. I had a good day 3 weeks ago with some nice fish and a lovely sunny day. That won't happen now. I really have to make the most of the North Platte as I could be heading south next year. So far south I will be out of the trout zone.
Sorry to hear about the possible move, just get in as much fishing as possible. In a normal winter there are still days where wade fishing is possible without freezing to death.

Larry

Old 11-23-2013, 08:21 AM

I have fished throughout the past 18 months and I am not scared of a bit of cold weather. Getting the paste for the rings to stop icing is critical though.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

Any of you guys float below Grey Reef dam in the winter? How is the fishing?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Administrator

I haven't floated the Grey Reef in the winter, but it should fish really well in the deeper pools as the fish should be podded up. The issue is finding a day when the wind lets up, I don't like fishing in 20-35 mph winds. Then you have the issue that the river at the low winter flows has very little current the last 1 1/2 to the takeout (Lusby) and when the wind blows it most often blowing straight up river so that means you have to turn around and row your guts out to get to the takeout. Much better to pick a day where the forecast winds are low. Take a look at this 10 day forecast for wind and you will see what I'm talking about.
10 Day Weather Forecast for Casper - weather.com

Larry

Old 01-10-2014, 03:15 PM

I was out 10 days ago at the Grey Reef tailwater and the wind became brutal! I got a 3lb brown that was red as a fox. I gave up when the wind chill picked up so much it was 2 casts before the tip ring iced up completely!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeolite View Post
I was out 10 days ago at the Grey Reef tailwater and the wind became brutal! I got a 3lb brown that was red as a fox. I gave up when the wind chill picked up so much it was 2 casts before the tip ring iced up completely!
Zeolite: You're The Man! I have been keeping an eye on the Casper wx and the wind forecast has been just brutal. Several years ago, the first trip over there I was wade fishing, the forecast was like 15-20 mph winds, and I'm thinking that should be doable, but when I got there you couldn't hardly standup, I strung the rod up sitting inside the car. I was determined to go fishing after a two hour drive, but after 15 minutes I gave up. The wind had to be doing 40 mph with much higher gusts, made for some tough walking, let alone trying to cast, even water loading and trying to keep the line low to the water wasn't working.

What's the word on your possible move?

Larry

Old 01-14-2014, 03:02 PM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road

Fished Fremont and the Reef on New Years Day.

We did pretty well. 15-20 fish in about 4 hours. One nice brown 20-21 inch. The rest where your average NP rainbow 16-18 inches.

It was around 15 Degrees. Had to clean ice out of your eyes every 3 or so casts. My crazy ass dog went swimming. She didn't get cold until it dropped to about 5 degrees when the sun went down. Packed up and headed home after that.
mcnerney likes this.