North Platte, WY Fishing Trip

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Chased (Chase) and his friend Rod and I planned to fish the North Platte together last week. This would be a second fishing trip together, as we had floated the Bighorn last April for three days together. They were planning on driving over on Wed, but I wanted to go early so I left the house Sunday morning and started the trip by camping at the Miracle Mile until they got their, then we all shared a cabin in Alcova, WY for the rest of the week. I hauled the drift boat all the way over to Casper, but one look at the Grey Reef convinced me that we would be better off wade fishing as the river was still pretty weeded up and the winds were blowing in the high 30 mph range. If you have ever drifted from the dam down to the first takeout called Lusby you will know what I'm talking about. It seems like every time I go over there the wind blows straight up river and the last 1 1/2 miles of the float the river seems like it has stopped, so you have to row to move forward and with a stiff wind you're in for a real workout to reach the takeout. This was a first camping trip to the mile for me. When I got their the skies were clear, it was warm out, but the wind was howling. I found a spot where I could pitch the tent tight up against some bushes and found some rocks to place inside the tent to keep it in place. Later I discovered that if you camp closer to the dam the adjacent bluffs help buffer some of the wind so I will keep that in mind on the next trip. I spent Sun, Mon and Tues at the mile, then moved the camp to the dam Tues night. Wed afternoon I met up with Chase and Rod and we moved into a cabin just around the corner from the Alcova convenience store, this turned out to be a very wise choice because we were about to get hit with a blizzard Thurs evening. When we got up Friday morning we had about a foot of snow on the ground and the wind was howling like crazy. We stayed in the cabin until about 1 pm waiting for the storm to move off to the northeast, then hit the Grey Reef right at the dam. The wind had switched directions so the dam was providing a nice buffer to stay out of the wind and help stay warm. I had a long sleeve shirt, two sweaters, a light coat and my wading jacket on plus the waders so I was comfortable in the winter like conditions and it turned out we were the only ones out. When we first got on the water, a couple locals came down to the water, took one look and left. We had some great fishing that afternoon so that really helped keep everyone warm and not thinking about the cold, but we all were getting pretty chilled as the sun started going down so getting back to the cabin and getting some hot coffee was on everyone's agenda. Hwy 220 going west was closed so I decided to stay a couple extra days until I was sure the roads were all clear and didn't leave until Sun morning. The drive back to Pinedale was pretty much all on dry roads except for a few slick spots were the wind was blowing the snow across the roadway. Overall this was a great fishing trip despite the winter storm, we all had a fantastic time, caught some great Wyoming trout. Here are some photos of the scenery, I'll post a second post with some of the fish we landed. Rod landed the biggest trout of the trip, so hopefully he will email the photo to Chase so we can add that to the post.

My camp on the mile, notice how tight I had the tent up against the bushes:

Scenery before the big storm hit Wyoming:

Sunrise on the mile:

The area after the storm, this was about a day and half later:

Chase fishing with all his winter gear on:

Photo of Rod enjoying a day on the water:

Chase putting the long rod to work:

Landed a Walleye on a fly rod, it wasn't very big but certainly a surprise and a first for me:

Here is another first for me, landed this Mirror Carp on a 5 wt rod while trout fishing. My net is just over 20 inches on the inside length.

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Looks like a great trip Larry. To think, we were about 10 miles away from each other at one point, until I got to that drift in the road. One of these days we'll all get together and have a grand ol time fishing. I'll have to catch Chase next time he comes by and jump in with him. Great looking walleye and carp by the way. I saw some monster carp on the mile, but couldn't get them to take. And yes, it is much better to camp above the bridge, in the canyon while you are up on the mile. I was barely hit with any wind both nights I stayed up there. Well tight lines

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like a great trip Larry. To think, we were about 10 miles away from each other at one point, until I got to that drift in the road. One of these days we'll all get together and have a grand ol time fishing. I'll have to catch Chase next time he comes by and jump in with him. Great looking walleye and carp by the way. I saw some monster carp on the mile, but couldn't get them to take. And yes, it is much better to camp above the bridge, in the canyon while you are up on the mile. I was barely hit with any wind both nights I stayed up there. Well tight lines
SdDryFly: Thanks! It sucked when I found out you were that close and we didn't get together for some fishing. For some reason I thought you were headed up to Casper the Sunday before and would only have time to fish for a couple hours in Casper. We will definitely have to communicate better next time and make it a point to fish together.

Larry

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Chase emailed me some photos he took of the trip to the North Platte, hope you guys enjoy them:
They weren't all big, but they certainly were beautiful:

If you look closely you can see I had on a long sleeve shirt, two sweaters, a coat and finally my wading jacket.....trying to keep warm:

Rod on the left and myself on the right:

Rod into a nice trout:

I still don't understand how Rod could withstand that cold wind without a hat on:

Shot out the front of the cabin the day the storm hit:

The Grey Reef during the storm:

Chase's Fly Rod:

Before the storm hit.....we had no idea how good we had it:

Rod on the left and Chase on the right at the dam posing with their new t-shirts:

Cooking breakfast in the cabin, boy was that a sweet setup, fully stocked kitchen, all we had to provide was the food and between cooking all our own meals and splitting the cost of the cabin made for a pretty economical trip:

The big smile says it all after landing a nice rainbow with the help of Rod on the net:

Chase took this photo of a bug he spotted floating on the water, any ideas what it is?

Another shot of the river after the big storm:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Okay, I have to ask since I haven't had time to get up there and look myself...What did the duck numbers look like? :D
Not very good, I saw some but the numbers just weren't there yet, but then this was the first real cold wx they have had (at least to my knowledge).

Larry

L

Liphookedau

Hi Larry.
Nice Pics of some Beaut Looking Water it's good to see you all had an enjoyable Trip & caught some nice Fish even with The inclement weather .
Those Mirror Carp Have really big Scales & are Slimy as I've caught them over here as well as Their mates The European Carp.
I like where you had your Tent Parked however The Cabin looked a better proposition.
Probably The reason Rod doesn't wear a hat is he has more Hair than The Rest Of Us.
Brian.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the report. You gentlemen are die-hards.
Not really, we were in Casper, trapped in a cabin and just had to get outside. You should see some of the winter wx that Kelly and his sons fish in over in Idaho, definitely puts us in the amateur category. :D

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Rod just emailed me a photo of the big fish he caught, this fish has been living pretty close to the feed trough, it was certainly the biggest fish of the trip:

Larry

stenacron

Reaction score
As always Larry, awesome report and great pic's! :thmbup:

What a difference a day makes when it comes to weather in the high west! :wow:

Rod's rainbow is a real beast... holy smokes.

M

mridenour

Awesome fishing report! Looks like a great trip and lots of fun in the snow. Fishing in bad weather is some of the most rewarding fishing there is.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to have you guys back Larry,

I'm very much aware of how things change overnight. I got down to Anchor Point Sunday, Monday morning was seasonable with the morning low in the upper 30's and the high around 2:00 PM at 44*. I fished from daylight until 2 without a bump and so called the day and made a plan for Tuesday. Rain came Monday evening and pounded the area overnight hard.

With howling winds and sheets of rain coming down Nancy decided to stay at the motel and dropped me off at 7:30 AM. That's about half an hour before daylight at this time. I started down river and even in the dark could see that there was about twice as much river as the day before. I fished a long run in the dark to dawn light and began to wonder what color the water was. By 8:15 you could clearly see that things were up and with color so I walked to the top of the run and gave it one more shot even though the river was muddied. No bump, no fish but a cell phone so I called for an extraction.

So the score between the giant steelhead of The Anchor River and I remains the same, I have been defeated by weather or water conditions on almost every trip but I'm planning one more before the months end.....................

The waking up to a heavy snow and drop in temperature hits you pretty good too but at least your water levels stayed good. I'll take snow over hard rains any day, you guys made the best of it for sure.

zeolite

Reaction score
Work has been kicking my butt lately and I haven't been out much this year. Look what I am missing on my doorstep!
Fair play to you guys being out in that storm. Casper got trashed!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Work has been kicking my butt lately and I haven't been out much this year. Look what I am missing on my doorstep!
Fair play to you guys being out in that storm. Casper got trashed!
Yes, that was quite the storm, glad we had rented a cabin when it hit, felt sorry for the guys camping out on the mile!