The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default North Platte, WY Fishing Trip

Chased (Chase) and his friend Rod and I planned to fish the North Platte together last week. This would be a second fishing trip together, as we had floated the Bighorn last April for three days together. They were planning on driving over on Wed, but I wanted to go early so I left the house Sunday morning and started the trip by camping at the Miracle Mile until they got their, then we all shared a cabin in Alcova, WY for the rest of the week. I hauled the drift boat all the way over to Casper, but one look at the Grey Reef convinced me that we would be better off wade fishing as the river was still pretty weeded up and the winds were blowing in the high 30 mph range. If you have ever drifted from the dam down to the first takeout called Lusby you will know what I'm talking about. It seems like every time I go over there the wind blows straight up river and the last 1 1/2 miles of the float the river seems like it has stopped, so you have to row to move forward and with a stiff wind you're in for a real workout to reach the takeout. This was a first camping trip to the mile for me. When I got their the skies were clear, it was warm out, but the wind was howling. I found a spot where I could pitch the tent tight up against some bushes and found some rocks to place inside the tent to keep it in place. Later I discovered that if you camp closer to the dam the adjacent bluffs help buffer some of the wind so I will keep that in mind on the next trip. I spent Sun, Mon and Tues at the mile, then moved the camp to the dam Tues night. Wed afternoon I met up with Chase and Rod and we moved into a cabin just around the corner from the Alcova convenience store, this turned out to be a very wise choice because we were about to get hit with a blizzard Thurs evening. When we got up Friday morning we had about a foot of snow on the ground and the wind was howling like crazy. We stayed in the cabin until about 1 pm waiting for the storm to move off to the northeast, then hit the Grey Reef right at the dam. The wind had switched directions so the dam was providing a nice buffer to stay out of the wind and help stay warm. I had a long sleeve shirt, two sweaters, a light coat and my wading jacket on plus the waders so I was comfortable in the winter like conditions and it turned out we were the only ones out. When we first got on the water, a couple locals came down to the water, took one look and left. We had some great fishing that afternoon so that really helped keep everyone warm and not thinking about the cold, but we all were getting pretty chilled as the sun started going down so getting back to the cabin and getting some hot coffee was on everyone's agenda. Hwy 220 going west was closed so I decided to stay a couple extra days until I was sure the roads were all clear and didn't leave until Sun morning. The drive back to Pinedale was pretty much all on dry roads except for a few slick spots were the wind was blowing the snow across the roadway. Overall this was a great fishing trip despite the winter storm, we all had a fantastic time, caught some great Wyoming trout. Here are some photos of the scenery, I'll post a second post with some of the fish we landed. Rod landed the biggest trout of the trip, so hopefully he will email the photo to Chase so we can add that to the post.
Click the image to open in full size.

My camp on the mile, notice how tight I had the tent up against the bushes:

Scenery before the big storm hit Wyoming:
Sunrise on the mile:
The area after the storm, this was about a day and half later:
Chase fishing with all his winter gear on:
Photo of Rod enjoying a day on the water:
Chase putting the long rod to work:
Landed a Walleye on a fly rod, it wasn't very big but certainly a surprise and a first for me:
Here is another first for me, landed this Mirror Carp on a 5 wt rod while trout fishing. My net is just over 20 inches on the inside length.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Platte, WY Fishing Trip

Here are a few of the trout landed during the week:

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 10-08-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like a great trip Larry. To think, we were about 10 miles away from each other at one point, until I got to that drift in the road. One of these days we'll all get together and have a grand ol time fishing. I'll have to catch Chase next time he comes by and jump in with him. Great looking walleye and carp by the way. I saw some monster carp on the mile, but couldn't get them to take. And yes, it is much better to camp above the bridge, in the canyon while you are up on the mile. I was barely hit with any wind both nights I stayed up there. Well tight lines
Hardyreels and mridenour like this.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
Looks like a great trip Larry. To think, we were about 10 miles away from each other at one point, until I got to that drift in the road. One of these days we'll all get together and have a grand ol time fishing. I'll have to catch Chase next time he comes by and jump in with him. Great looking walleye and carp by the way. I saw some monster carp on the mile, but couldn't get them to take. And yes, it is much better to camp above the bridge, in the canyon while you are up on the mile. I was barely hit with any wind both nights I stayed up there. Well tight lines
SdDryFly: Thanks! It sucked when I found out you were that close and we didn't get together for some fishing. For some reason I thought you were headed up to Casper the Sunday before and would only have time to fish for a couple hours in Casper. We will definitely have to communicate better next time and make it a point to fish together.

Larry

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Chase emailed me some photos he took of the trip to the North Platte, hope you guys enjoy them:
They weren't all big, but they certainly were beautiful:
If you look closely you can see I had on a long sleeve shirt, two sweaters, a coat and finally my wading jacket.....trying to keep warm:
Rod on the left and myself on the right:
Rod into a nice trout:
I still don't understand how Rod could withstand that cold wind without a hat on:
Shot out the front of the cabin the day the storm hit:
The Grey Reef during the storm:
Chase's Fly Rod:
Before the storm hit.....we had no idea how good we had it:
Rod on the left and Chase on the right at the dam posing with their new t-shirts:
Cooking breakfast in the cabin, boy was that a sweet setup, fully stocked kitchen, all we had to provide was the food and between cooking all our own meals and splitting the cost of the cabin made for a pretty economical trip:
The big smile says it all after landing a nice rainbow with the help of Rod on the net:
Chase took this photo of a bug he spotted floating on the water, any ideas what it is?
Another shot of the river after the big storm:

Old 10-07-2013, 03:22 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Looks like an excellent trip even though it snowed.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:22 PM

hjw is on a distinguished road

Okay, I have to ask since I haven't had time to get up there and look myself...What did the duck numbers look like?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjw View Post
Okay, I have to ask since I haven't had time to get up there and look myself...What did the duck numbers look like?
Not very good, I saw some but the numbers just weren't there yet, but then this was the first real cold wx they have had (at least to my knowledge).

Larry

Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

"Bug" looks like a "Trike Dun".

Had to be a tiny one. #24 or so ?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:53 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting the report. You gentlemen are die-hards.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
"Bug" looks like a "Trike Dun".

Had to be a tiny one. #24 or so ?
Thanks, I didn't see it on the water, but I think Chase mentioned it was pretty small so that makes sense.