The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By dwtalso

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 PM

dux_r_us is on a distinguished road
Default Gila River, NM - Life after Fire?

I'd call the Gila National Forest office and ask, but the Gov't is shutdown.

Can anyone provide information about the Gila River, especially the Western and Middle Forks, namely are they fishable? Did the fires impact the area around the Cliff Dwellings?

I will be in Southern NM about 25 October.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 10-13-2013, 07:16 PM

tx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gila River, NM - Life after Fire?

A couple friends and I have been looking for a backup backpacking trip for our original plan for a month or so now. One of the guys called the park ranger office at Gila the day before the shutdown. FWIW, In addition to mentioning the shutdown, the ranger he spoke with gave him a long speech about how bad the area is due to how much land they've had burned...basically spent 10 minutes telling him it would be a waste of time to come out. But who knows, maybe if the human traffic has been way down the fishing may have benefitted?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm a long way from the impacted area but.............

If I were wanting to go there I would use the internet to search for hydrologic records for the region in question since the fire. This will tell you how much rainfall there has been and that will hint at how much ash and silt may have washed into the river since the burn.

The only way to really know will be to roll the dice and go.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-14-2013, 09:58 AM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

The river near Gila, NM recorded flows over 20,000 cfs during last months monsoons (it's down to 82 csf now). That water pretty much came down out of the burned areas. Between that and the fact that the last burn devastated the newly recovered streams, I'd have very low expectations about fishing that area right now.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:36 AM

hankaye is on a distinguished road

Howdy All;

Been awhile since this thread was active but I'd answered a survey
about fishing for the Gila trouts and corresponded with the Biologist
in charge of the Gila Trout. This is a response that I'd received;

"Thank you for responding to the survey.

Iím glad to hear you will be out there trying to catch a Gila this year! At this point the only place where you can fish for a wild Gila trout is in Mogollon Creek. Between the Whitewater-Baldy Fire and the Silver Fire, fish have been killed in every other stream that is open to Gila trout angling. Gila trout were stocked this fall back into Willow Creek, Black Canyon, West Fork Gila River, the Forks Area, and Sapillo Creek. We donít fin clip the fish, so there isnít a mark that you can use to identify a wild vs. stocked fish. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jill Wick

Gila Trout Biologist

New Mexico Department of Game and Fish

PO Box 25112

Santa Fe, NM 87504

office: 505.476.8125

fax: 505.476.8131"

hank
Old 09-22-2014, 10:53 AM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

Here's the latest from NMDGF:

Gila Trout Fishing Maps

It looks like there are actually two creeks to fish for wild trout and several places to fish for stocked trout. And there's now a registration to fish for wild trout, above and beyond just having a license.