The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dry Fly in Northern Colorado/Fort Collins

To you 2 new Guys welcome to you both sorry I can't help you however as you have found,there's quite a bit of info here as many of The guys know The area you are Fishing.
Brian.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:28 PM

mgross2144 is on a distinguished road

This is pretty cool!!

I don't know what I'm more excited about, the fact that there are so many people who are willing to discuss their hard earned knowledge of this amazing sport, or the fact that there are so many people in this area who activly take part in this forum. So to sum that up, Thank you everyone for your responses!

Now back to the subject at hand.

I went down to Fort Collins the other day to meet up with my cousin and fish the Poudre through town. I apologize to all of my 970 neighbors for sunday because apparently I brought with me the Wyoming cold & wind. (I thought that stuff stayed at bay on the Wyo border.)

I once again didn't see any fish rising all day. I have some 20+ BWO that I really do enjoy throwing, but due to the wind on the surface of the water and the fact that I didnt' see any surface action...I decided to fish Wooly Buggers for the majority of the day. BH Black WB and BH Thin Mints.

Click the image to open in full size.

And after about 4 hours and 6 total fish we headed in to warm up our fingers. My cousin also lives really close to a lake in town. Not wanting to waste any daylight we headed out to chuck a few big ugly flies at some pike.... (I had no idea as to what I was doing) but as my cousin turns to me and begins to discuss our amazing ability to catch the wind and cold; his line goes tight and

Quote:
I was fishing the Green below Fontenelle the other day and there was an incredible BWO hatch coming off with also a great midge hatch. Lots of little fish coming to the surface on a pretty regular basis with a few big ones thrown in to keep your interest. I landed 8 but they were all pretty small 6-8 inch range except for one that was 13-14 inch.

Larry
Larry,

I am not from Colorado so I am not up to date on my bodies of water... could you lead me in the right direction as far as where i can look these places up on a map?

Once again, thank you Everyone for your input!!!
cpiercem and stenacron like this.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgross2144 View Post
Quote:
I was fishing the Green below Fontenelle the other day and there was an incredible BWO hatch coming off with also a great midge hatch. Lots of little fish coming to the surface on a pretty regular basis with a few big ones thrown in to keep your interest. I landed 8 but they were all pretty small 6-8 inch range except for one that was 13-14 inch.

Larry,

I am not from Colorado so I am not up to date on my bodies of water... could you lead me in the right direction as far as where i can look these places up on a map?
The Green River originates in the Green River lakes north of Pinedale roughly 50 miles and flows south. Approximately 90-100 miles south along hwy 189 is Fontenelle Reservoir. I was fishing below the Fontenelle dam (be careful down there this time of year as the water from the dam to the cable on the north side of Weeping Rock campground is closed from Oct 1 thru Dec, I think it is to allow room for the Kokanee to spawn). I like fishing down there as most of the land is all BLM so access is not a problem and that it is far enough away from the cities that it is never too crowded, plus there is lots of room to spread out. They also have two campgrounds maintained by the state that are free to the public, so if you like camping, you can't beat that. From there the Green continues south into Flaming Gorge Reservoir. Below the dam at Flaming Gorge is some awesome fishing, it is located in Dutch John, UT and should be on your bucket list if you like trout fishing. Again pretty much all the land along the river below Flaming Gorge is BLM land, it sees a lot of traffic, especially in the summer, but the BLM has built a walking path from the dam all the way to the first takeout called Little Hole (about 7 miles) so there is plenty of room to spread out if your wading and willing to do some walking. There are several pay to camp campgrounds in the surrounding area, but some of them have no shade trees (they lost the trees in the big fire of 1994 that almost wiped out Dutch John).
I've read where the fish count on the Green is somewhere in the 900 fish/mile, below Flaming Gorge it is in the neighborhood of 10,000 fish/mile.

Larry

Old 10-15-2013, 05:48 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Holy **** I had no idea there were Northern Pike in the area.

That's it... I'm moving to Fort Collins!
mcnerney likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post

I forgot to mention that since you are fishing Northern Colorado and most likely the Poudre, you might be interested in reading the Midgeman's blog. He used to live in Ft Collins and his home water was the Poudre and he wrote about the river quite a bit and is an awesome tier.
The Midge Manifesto

Larry
Thanks for this Larry. I was reading this blog last night and absolutely love it.

I even ordered a stillwater DVD - Mastering Chironomids - this morning based solely on Midgeman's blog diary recommendation (August 2013)!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring