The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 10:01 PM

mgross2144 is on a distinguished road
Default Dry Fly in Northern Colorado/Fort Collins

Hello everyone,

This is my first post ever, but I have been reading the Rocky Mountian Range section of the forum for the past few months and I gotta say; thank you everyone for all the advice!! I love taking something from the written world into practice. I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction. I understand that with colder temps there are less bugs in the air. I have been having success with stripping BH WB but I want a chance at some dry fly top action. Anywhere where the fish are still taking em off of the top??

I live in Wyo, but my fishing partner/cousin lives in Fort Collins, so that will be our launching off point.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dry Fly in Northern Colorado/Fort Collins

Welcome to the forum! If you fish on overcast or rainy days you will likely encounter BWO hatches and/or midge hatches. For BWO hatches I like a dry dropper rig, say a small parachute adams (18 or 20) with a small emerger or nymph dropper, again pretty small. For midges, try a griffith's gnat, cannon's snowshoe suspension midge or cannon's cluster midge or just give up and go with a couple midge larva or pupa, I tend to like black beauty's, jujubee's or blood midge's.

I was fishing the Green below Fontenelle the other day and there was an incredible BWO hatch coming off with also a great midge hatch. Lots of little fish coming to the surface on a pretty regular basis with a few big ones thrown in to keep your interest. I landed 8 but they were all pretty small 6-8 inch range except for one that was 13-14 inch.

Larry
cpiercem likes this.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:53 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Larry wrote. I'm not as familiar with those waters but hatches can occur all year round. Often they are small flies. If you have trouble seeing those 20's, 22's, and 24's, tie on a size 16 beetle with an visible wing/post and then put the tiny fly a foot or so behind it. I carry some of the orange Loon bio-strike stuff and put a small pinch on my line a foot or so above the tiny fly. It gives me a better sighter.

Perhaps someone who knows those areas better will weigh in. Welcome.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention that since you are fishing Northern Colorado and most likely the Poudre, you might be interested in reading the Midgeman's blog. He used to live in Ft Collins and his home water was the Poudre and he wrote about the river quite a bit and is an awesome tier.
The Midge Manifesto

Larry
stenacron likes this.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:01 PM

jloncar will become famous soon enough

Hi all new to the forum too. I have recently relocated up to the Ft. Collins area. I went out an fished the Poudre yesterday. I wasn't really fishing seriously had the wife and mother in law with me and I figured I would just get a couple flies wet and kill some time while the went for a walk. I only had a couple dry flies on me and figured I would try the elk hair caddis size 18 I believe. Anyways on the 3rd cast I hooked up with a nice little rainbow and 2 casts after that had another solid hit.

That was my experience and luck for the day I was happy I hooked up at all. I plan to go out again this next weekend and will put in a report on what I find.
mcnerney and williamhj like this.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloncar View Post
Hi all new to the forum too. I have recently relocated up to the Ft. Collins area. I went out an fished the Poudre yesterday. I wasn't really fishing seriously had the wife and mother in law with me and I figured I would just get a couple flies wet and kill some time while the went for a walk. I only had a couple dry flies on me and figured I would try the elk hair caddis size 18 I believe. Anyways on the 3rd cast I hooked up with a nice little rainbow and 2 casts after that had another solid hit.

That was my experience and luck for the day I was happy I hooked up at all. I plan to go out again this next weekend and will put in a report on what I find.
Welcome to the forum! The Poudre is a beautiful little stream, put the time in on it to learn the river and you will be rewarded.

Larry

Old 10-14-2013, 04:16 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgross2144 View Post

...but I want a chance at some dry fly top action. Anywhere where the fish are still taking em off of the top??

I live in Wyo, but my fishing partner/cousin lives in Fort Collins...
Your cousin should be very familiar with St. Peter's Fly Shop - now with two locations - in Fort Collins. Check in with those guys... pretty sure the Poudre is fishing well up into the canyon along Highway 14 (NW of Fort Collins). Lot's of access and the Baetis (Blue-winged Olives) should be very active right now. 11:00a - 2:00p is your best window for mayfly hatches this time of year.

We were there visiting our daughter at CSU this past weekend and took a ride up 14 looking for Big Horns. No rams, and not many anglers either considering it was a beautiful Saturday afternoon. River looked to be in great shape though.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough

I have actually had great success going big in the colder months. try throwing a hopper dropper with bright colors or a Chernobyl Ant. Hit the undercuts and grassy sections.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:03 PM

torr8966 is on a distinguished road

St Peters is great!! I killed the poudre Saturday morning with a Charlie boy hopper and a copper john as a dropper!! Get about 5 miles west of Teds Place and it really starts to pick up!! I had several nice rainbows in a few hours on the river!! Boy was it cold!! Dress in layers for sure!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:26 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

I just got back from Colorado, and I fished the Poudre for two days of last week. It was great! I had most of my fish on caddis, adams, and my generic hornet/stonefly/hopper/caddis.

I am sure I could have done better throwing a few nymphs in the deep holes, but the drys were doing well enough to keep me entertained without nymphing.