The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cashe La Poudre River

It is such a beautiful river and canyon that the fish are almost secondary!

I really wanted to catch a cutthroat and didn't. I caught mostly browns with some rainbows thrown in the mix. Do I have to go way up river to run into any cutts? Are there any in there? If so are they Colorado River Cutts or Greenbacks? I need to do some research.

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Also sorry about misspelling Cache! I do know how to spell it, as I don't live very far from Cache Valley Utah. I don't know what my fingers were thinking as I typed! I think they were focused on remembering the beautiful fiSh!
jslo likes this.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:30 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

I do not believe you will see many (if any) cutts on the Poudre within 30 miles up the canyon from 14. Above there, I suppose it's possible? My only data is experiential. Scientifically it may be possible and maybe there are some, but they never show up on the fish surveys. RMNP and the higher elevation lakes and rivers I find Cutts.

I've caught thousands of fish in the Poudre, and never a cutt. I think technically the river is something like 85% browns, 15% rainbows according to surveys- but my own experience is more 65% - 35% brown/rainbow mix depending on what stretch I am fishing, and what technique (dry/nymph/streamer/etc).

If you are interested in reading more from the empirical data side, here is a link:
Cache La Poudre Fishery
Old 10-18-2013, 05:50 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the link. I see what you mean about the lack of cutthroats. It is kind of strange to see them as concerned as they are about the rainbows over the browns. Aren't both introduced species?

Usually around here the concern is to return the cutthroats and reduce both the rainbows and the browns.

I thought the browns I caught there were great.
jslo likes this.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:11 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

My sense is that while both were introduced (not native), both were also "wild" in that they had been reproducing naturally on the river in that fishery for decades/centuries- where wild = introduced but natural sustainable repeated reproduction and where native = wild + naturally found in the fishery via nature. This is all true UNTIL the introduction of whirling disease. This is the gist, that whirling disease first surfaced in the 1950's in trout imported from europe and stocked in North American waters. Read
for as much as you want to know. Bottom line is that whirling disease killed off nearly all the wild Rainbow trout in the Cache La Poudre in the 1990's. The browns were largely unaffected. So since that time the effort has been to reintroduce the species that was lost (rainbow). I believe I read somewhere that in an "aha" moment, they figured that since the disease came from europe, surely they could find rainbow trout from europe that were resistant to the disease. This has proven to be true and so the introduction of Hofer rainbows which are resistant to the parasite are helping to start reintroducing wild rainbow to the poudre and other rivers in colorado.

Maybe too much info, but there you have it.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

another quick read on it
: Cache La Poudre Hofer/Rainbows
stenacron and jloncar like this.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 PM

No, not too much info. It makes more sense now. I was just kind of surprised that they didn't focus on getting the cutthroats spawning in the river.

Out of all the fish I caught, it was probably 75% browns to 25% bows. The bows did add some variety and acrobatics to the catch.
jslo likes this.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:25 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

there are cutts in the canyon, just have to go up higher. I got one last summer above sleeping elephant.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

there are cutts in the canyon, just have to go up higher. I got one last summer above sleeping elephant.
jslo likes this.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:08 PM

clibb is on a distinguished road

The Laporte fisherie flooded during the flood this fall so the rumor is that there are some huge trout in the river Laporte and south into Fort Collins. A couple co-workers stated they caught a couple 22-26" browns and bows in there.
Good luck
jslo likes this.