The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cashe La Poudre River

I got a chance to fish the Poudre River Canyon for two days this last week. What a beautiful canyon and river! Thankfully it was the middle of the week, gov shutdown of campgrounds, and late in the fall, otherwise I am afraid that this looks like a very popular place!

I forgot my camera for the first day and of course the fishing was better then. The first day I fished up in the catch and release sections, and I think the average size was a bit better in those areas. Still the paths along the river are pretty heavily beaten in. This river must get some serious attention all summer long.

The second day I fished a little lower down and still had a great day. Mostly browns with some rainbows mixed in. I only took a few pictures of some of the fish.

I wish that I could have taken some pictures of the beautiful canyon as I drove up, but it is way too narrow and twisty to use a camera and drive at the same time.

First fish of the day gets to be immortalized for his sheer exuberance and enthusiasm.

Click the image to open in full size.

The river is fairly large and is much faster and larger than it looks as most of my pictures were from a couple of braids where the river was split. It was also very cold water! Sorry about the water spots on some of these pictures.

Rainbows

And lovely browns:

Goodbye Cache La Poudre until next year. Dryfly fishing at its finest. I'll be back!

Last edited by cpiercem; 10-15-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Cashe La Poudre River

Good to hear from you, and thank you for the photos. I've been up there when I lived in CO. a most beautiful place to fish. Ever try the North Fork?

Ard
jslo likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent report on the Poudre and congrats on the awesome fishing!

Larry
jslo likes this.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:25 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Ever try the North Fork?
I was thinking about trying the North Fork, but I wasn't too sure on where to access it, or even how to get to it.

The trip was a spur of the moment thing, as I was taking a loaner car to our daughter in Fort Collins. It just happened this time that I had some fishing time. Anyway I wasn't really prepared enough with figuring out roads and fishy looking water ahead of time. I also wasn't sure how the North Fork area faired in either fires or recent floods.

I thought about hiking into the South Fork a little. They had the road to it closed. I assume because of the recent floods, but it might be because of the gov shutdown.

Either way, this time was kind of a unique chance for me to try the Poudre Canyon stretch as after the campgrounds reopen I probably won't be able to fish it due to the smoke.
jslo likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 PM

mgross2144 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Goodbye Cashe La Poudre until next year. Dryfly fishing at its finest. I'll be back!
I have been starting to fish the poudre this fall and I must admit that I found it kinda difficult as I headed up the canyon... Granted I've only started to drive up the canyon ( I've driven up a few miles, not yet to Mishawaka when headed from Fort Collins.)

I was wondering what type of flies you used and if you had any advice for me for future trips.

Thanks!
jslo likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgross2144 View Post
I have been starting to fish the poudre this fall and I must admit that I found it kinda difficult as I headed up the canyon... Granted I've only started to drive up the canyon ( I've driven up a few miles, not yet to Mishawaka when headed from Fort Collins.)

I was wondering what type of flies you used and if you had any advice for me for future trips.
I am certainly no expert on the Poudre! That is the first time I have ever fished it.

I thought it might be better if I got above the areas where flood damage had come through. I don't know if it was really necessary, but I figured I had a better chance in the areas less disturbed.

From "Ted's Place" (turnoff of 287 to hwy 14) I was up canyon about 20 to 25 miles. I fished maybe 5 miles above to 5 miles below where Pinegree Road takes off (63E). Most of the fish were not huge....just average 12 to 15 in sized. Water was very clear and gets heavy pressure so I stayed low and somewhat stealthy.

Later on and next year, it probably won't matter getting above the flood areas. Since it flooded only a few weeks ago, I thought it might be an issue.

I used a parachute Adams (BWO) and a caddis/hopper/stonefly imitaiton. I was fishing mostly from about 11 to about 3:30. I generally find that fish will still take a hopper or caddis in the first half of Oct. I think it is just habit for them. Later in the month it is probably better to stick with BWO, midge imitations, or nymphs. Good luck.

I will be back to the area, as one of our daughters and her family lives in Fort Collins. I usually am too busy with grandkids to fish the larger rivers, but I will again eventually.

We also need to find which reservoirs in the area are good panfishing to take the grandkids to.
jslo likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:51 PM

jloncar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
We also need to find which reservoirs in the area are good panfishing to take the grandkids to.
Fort Collins has a ton of little ponds that are chalked full of panfish. I've had some luck at the prospect ponds and then have also fished the pond on the east end of Drake road. Not a lot of shore access for the pond off Drake but if you have a float tube or motor less boat you can get on it pretty easy.

All the ponds in the city proper have heavy fishing pressure.
jslo likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 PM

jloncar, thank you! That is the kind of info I needed. With 3 grandkids there we will be shore fishing.
jslo likes this.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:49 PM

jloncar will become famous soon enough

No problem shoot me a PM next time you are out and I can give you better directions to a couple ponds that have good shore spots.
cpiercem and jslo like this.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:03 AM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

The Poudre is my home river. I fish it multiple times a week as weather/job permit...ummm yeah there is no fish in there. These pics are from some other river I think lol.

No seriously its a great river to fish. Mgross2144 PM me sometime and I'll guide you up there. (guide as in go with, show you some areas. Show you what I fish. Not guide as in I'll charge you an arm and a leg

I think it is an underrated river. Also, it has a bit more pressure after the flood as other fisheries were shut down (Big T, St Vrain etc from the flooding).

There aren't huge fish as OP stated, but some good wild trout and also stockers lower canyon. Generally well trained fish. Beautiful canyon. Biggest would probably be a healthy 17-18 inch trout, and plenty of fiesty 13-15 inchers

Tight lines