The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default BWO Nymph Patterns

What's your favorite BWO (Baetis) nymph patterns?

I saw a great pattern a guy was using on the Beaverhead the other day... now, of course I can't remember how it was made.. almost looked like a very small poxyback green/olive stone

ETA - sorry - I should have said.. nymph patterns

Last edited by dhayden; 10-15-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:06 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: BWO Patterns

Oops, thought you wanted dries.

Last edited by lightline; 10-15-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:24 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

I actually don't own any of these, but I should.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:00 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightline View Post
Oops, thought you wanted dries.
Thanks, I'm with you on the dries.. I had nymphs in my head when I was writing it.. lol
Old 10-15-2013, 07:51 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: BWO Nymph Patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post

What's your favorite BWO (Baetis) nymph patterns?
The Baetis are drawing lots of attention on the rivers in my area these past couple of weeks and I have been hauling the mail nymphing ahead of - and during - the hatch with the tandem of #16 simple BHPT (olive) followed by a #18 RS2 (olive). Put nearly four (4) dozen in the net over my last two (2) trips to the Provo River... most preferring the RS2.

Simple BHPT

--Hook: #16 scud hook
--Bead: small, tungsten (copper colored)
--Thread: UTC 70 (light olive)
--Tail/Body: three (3) pheasant tail fibres
--Rib: fine gold wire
NOTE: Tied on a scud hook, the #16 fishes like a #18

RS2

--Hook: #18 Nymph (2X heavy, 1X long)
--Thread: veevus 14/0 (brown)
--Tails: two (2) white Microfibbets, tied split
--Abdomen: one (1) strand of six (6) strand DMC floss (medium olive)
--Wing Tuft: small loop, folded Pearl Braid
--Thorax: dubbed Superfine (adams gray)
NOTE: This fly fished "OK" for me in it's traditional tie... switched to the Pearl Braid wing tuft (thank you for the 100th time Charlie Craven) and it really seemed to add a trigger effect and the catch rate went way up.

Depending on the depth of your stream/river you may need to add some weight to get 'em down... especially in fast water.
mcnerney, jcw355, dean_mt and 3 others like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 10-15-2013, 10:00 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: BWO Nymph Patterns

Those are all some nice, easy looking patterns! I also like Barr's Emerger for BWOs.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:14 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Charlie Craven, I love the juju baetis!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Great ties, Joe.

Are the olive PTs standard pheasant tail or dyed olive?

You said you are fishing them tandem so you are nymphing with the RS2 "emerger." Good thinking, I've caught some nice fish nymphing with spent spinner flies.
stenacron likes this.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Frankly, I use emerger patterns for BWO's/Baetis - most frequently...like these:

RS2 Olive...

Bat Wing Emerger...

RS2 Black...

...and this one:

Owens Emerger...

I fish 'em from the bottom to the top of the water column...

PT/TB
mcnerney likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

Are the olive PTs standard pheasant tail or dyed olive?
Yes, dyed olive PT's.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring