The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Fork of the Snake, ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Even taking out @ Cottonwood, it was a long day.
John: I've floated that section in the spring a few times with Davo and it is a long day at 10,000 CFS, we normally just bang the banks with streamers and don't stop much, maybe a half hour at most, putting in around 9:30 am and taking out around 5:30 pm at Byington (sp?). After that day, I don't think you had to go to the gym for exercise anytime soon!

Larry

Old 10-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

We usually don't get off the water that early, gotta stop and hit some riffles on the way, a lunch stop, and the obligatory potty breaks, so we're usually pushing it. There's been a few times though that coming out that late makes for some tough boating with the angle of the sun and heading right into it, hard to watch the water with all the glare.

Camping in the canyon was great early in the year for us, you have to do that next year.
mcnerney likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Cochise:

More Kudo's on taking your son fishing, he will remember.

My dog gets that same look when she sees a fish.

CAB
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:54 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post

[/COLOR]Also for those who don't know, F&G have set a no limit on the rainbows in the South Fork. Everyone is encouraged to keep all of the rainbows. In order to keep our cutthroat population on there pure and the proportional numbers up, the rainbows need to be reduced. Please everyone, even those that are strictly C&R, keep the bows on the So Frk. We are spending thousands and thousands of dollars in the fight to keep the Snake River Cutts from being listed. Keeping the bows is a low cost way to help. There is even a cash incentive.

See page three in this newsletter for some of what is being done. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/...keReport13.pdf
Here is a quote from that article:
"We have an aggressive program to keep cutthroat as the dominant species, we also realize it is impossible to completely remove rainbows from the South Fork. Appropriate flows are not applied every year, our weirs have varying degrees of effectiveness, and anglers don’t always harvest every rainbow they catch. As such, we will always have rainbow trout present in the South Fork, and that’s OK. Our goal for the river is to reduce overall rainbow trout abundance to levels lower than we currently see now and
similar to abundances we saw in the mid 1990’s. You can help us meet our objectives by harvesting all your rainbow trout."
This is all very controversial as you probably know since it's setting up a battle between the the government's perceived mandate of restoration of the fisheries to their previous status vs the commercial interests of the locals like fishing guides who look to the 40k or so fly fishermen who visit the areas annually who have developed an affinity for the varied species of trout including the Browns, Brookies, and most of all the Rainbows.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Now that sounds like a terrific day Larry,

Now that you mention that Syntrix rod, I take it you like the action? I've been considering adding on of them here but waiting to get some first hand input about them.

Congrats on another great day out there,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Now that sounds like a terrific day Larry,

Now that you mention that Syntrix rod, I take it you like the action? I've been considering adding on of them here but waiting to get some first hand input about them.

Congrats on another great day out there,

Ard
Ard: Thanks!

As you know I have the Sage One 5 wt 10 ft and now recently the Hardy Sintrix 5 wt 8 ft 6 in. The rods aren't exactly alike but as you probably know I have struggled with the Sage One from the beginning. I love the way it casts, just an awesome rod, but for me it just has too stiff of a tip. I really have issues with either the hook set or fighting the fish and have lost countless fish. On the other hand, I find the Hardy Sintrix tip is much softer, I can't throw a line quite as far (but I'm no expert caster either), but I don't have the issues with breaking fish off on either the hook set or during playing the fish to the net. If you get a chance, just set the two rods side-by-side and you will see a huge difference in the tip sections in both size and how much force it takes to bend.
I'm not trying to bash Sage, I also have a Sage Z-Axis and love that rod.
Here is another point of reference, when Brian was out here, I let him fish the Sage One on Kelly's No Tellum' Spring Creek and he was really impressed with that rod and told me he wants to build one when he got back to Australia. For the water you fish, you might prefer the Sage One over the Hardy.......just a guess.

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I would probably be looking at one of the 2 hand sticks but action of materials seem to run consistent throughout the range of rods. I got to cast a Sage this past summer and was duly impressed with the rod. It was set up with a perfect line match and it made me look good I used a hardy Marksman 2 T for most of the season and that rod also made me good. Have you ever looked at the Hardy home site? Take a look at the new Lightweight Series rods, I really like the looks of them but just don't know what I'd do with another light action rod in the land of big rivers and fish. I've got the small stream rod pretty well covered and that keeps me from ordering one of the Lightweight rods.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;