The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmac321

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 PM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road
Default Bear River, Evanston

Have you guys ever fished this? Larry? I have a funeral to go to in SLC and we will be staying with my SO's family in Evanston. I am thinking of trying to sneak out and test out the Bear river state park. is there anywhere else that is a must fish in the area? I don't see much public land or marked access in the area.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-22-2013, 05:38 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bear River, Evanston

I've never fished the Bear River, but when I looked on the Game & Fish WY Fishing Guide it mentions that most of the land is private. The only time I have been that far SE in Wyoming was to attend a seminar that Denny Rickards was putting on at the Guild Ranch in Ft Bridger just to the west. In fact, I spent the night in Evanston and then hit the lake at first light.
Guild Ranch - World Class Still Water Fly Fishing

Larry

Old 10-22-2013, 08:16 PM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road

Thanks Larry,

I saw a youtube video of some guys in Utah fishing it out of Evanston. I see there is a state park right outside of town. I wonder if I can talk to some land owners and get permission to fish on some private down south. My So's sister and her husband have a ranch down there I need to see if they have river property or know who does.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho_phizzat View Post
Thanks Larry,

I saw a youtube video of some guys in Utah fishing it out of Evanston. I see there is a state park right outside of town. I wonder if I can talk to some land owners and get permission to fish on some private down south. My So's sister and her husband have a ranch down there I need to see if they have river property or know who does.
That is exactly what I was thinking, travel up the river and look for old ranch houses, when you find one politely ask for permission to fly fish and tell them that you practice C&R. The old school folks will probably let you fish their property. A couple years ago I was talking to one of the local ranchers that homesteaded his place, he now has 10,000 acres. He is in his 80's, he told me that he lets anyone who knocks on the door and politely asks to fish, he grants permission. Then he said one thing he doesn't like about all the new comers buying up property and the first thing they do is put up no trespassing signs.

Larry

Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking, travel up the river and look for old ranch houses, when you find one politely ask for permission to fly fish and tell them that you practice C&R. The old school folks will probably let you fish their property. A couple years ago I was talking to one of the local ranchers that homesteaded his place, he now has 10,000 acres. He is in his 80's, he told me that he lets anyone who knocks on the door and politely asks to fish, he grants permission. Then he said one thing he doesn't like about all the new comers buying up property and the first thing they do is put up no trespassing signs.

Larry
Yes Larry,

You can go far In Wyoming by asking permission in a polite way. Pick up your trash, and haul it out. Most folks will be willing to let you fish or hunt.
mcnerney likes this.