The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wyoming Fly Fishing in the Fall

With the recent warm spell here in Western Wyoming, I have been taking advantage of the nice wx and getting out on the water. Over the weekend I had a friend from Casper (Rick) come over and we fished together on the Green and a small stream to change things up.
There is a limestone cliff along hwy 189 that has a bunch of names inscribed into the rock, I thought this one was pretty interesting:
Click the image to open in full size.
A nice Rainbow:
I talked the GF into coming along and she landed a nice whitefish:
Here she is hooked up with a nice trout that later came unbuttoned, but she was pretty excited none the less:
Another nice Rainbow:
Another nice Rainbow:

In the afternoon we decided to head to a small stream to target some cutthroat. The action was pretty slow, but we did manage to land two and lost a couple others. Here is a nice Colorado Cutthroat:
The little valley we were fishing:
Rick trying his best to coax a Cutthroat out of the beaver pond:
A great looking location, but on this day we got skunked:
The next day we decided to do a short float on the Green, here is the river just as the sun was coming up:
After getting the boat launched, the shuttle done, and the fly rods all rigged, we jumped back in the truck to warm up. It was cold, but as soon as that sun broke over the mountains to the east it warmed up fast:
A nice Brown trout caught while throwing streamers:

A nice Rainbow also caught throwing streamers:

Larry

Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 AM
mridenour

Default Re: Wyoming Fly Fishing in the Fall

Larry,
You have more fun than anybody I know!
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have to agree with Mike in that you are doing a whole lot of fishing Larry. It's great that you got this Indian Summer going on for you there. I'm real familiar with the great looking spots where you catch nothing. Our fish are in the annual transition / migration phase now and they are real hard to find.

As you know from yesterday's PM exchange I was to be up on the river today but last night we got a serious rain. I don't know how much but when I can hear it pounding the house I know enough to sleep in and wait for the next day. Time is running out and between the fish not dropping down to the winter waters and these rains which raise the river, it's a tough game right now. I know that I'll end up wading through snow by the time this ends but for the time being I can enjoy these posts from you and the other members who are still having some beautiful days astream.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Mike and Ard....you're lucky to fish so often and have such a fine weatherGlad to see Annie and you on the water together
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:11 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Aaah, to be retired! Well played sir. Good to see you getting out.

Kelly.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Looks awesome as always Larry, glad you got the gf out with you. This last weeks weather was amazing. Looks like a change is coming. Now.

How is the fishing where the highway to Pinedale crosses the Green river? I always want to stop but never do, I think my brother floated down to that bridge once.

Some nice bobo's, I bet they have been a pleasure to fight.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Nice work. The cold is never presant after the first fish is landed. Ever notice that?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 PM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Beautiful country Larry, I am jealous.
mcnerney likes this.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Looks awesome as always Larry, glad you got the gf out with you. This last weeks weather was amazing. Looks like a change is coming. Now.

How is the fishing where the highway to Pinedale crosses the Green river? I always want to stop but never do, I think my brother floated down to that bridge once.

Some nice bobo's, I bet they have been a pleasure to fight.
Sent you a PM.

Larry
cochise likes this.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 AM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road

Looks like fun Larry,

I was up in the area for a day or two last week and went and fished the upper for a few hours. I didn't even see a fish let alone catch any. I didn't see much for bugs in the water either. All I managed to kick up where snails. Do the fish move down when it starts getting cold? I was at the Daniel hatchery access and then above the bridge.