The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 04:18 PM

jared7136 is on a distinguished road
Default Yellowstone - Madison and Gibbon

I just scheduled a week in Yellowstone next spring and will be spending four days fly fishing the Gibbon, Madison, and Fire Hole. I've got a few spots picked out such as big bend and barns holes. Are there any other holes I should try while I'm there?

Best Regards,
Jared
Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellowstone - Madison and Gibbon

Jared: Welcome to the forum!
I can't help with your request for information, but you might want to keep an eye on this blog as he provides some really insightful information on fishing in that area: Fly Fishing In Yellowstone National Park

Larry
smoothie likes this.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 PM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

It depends quite a bit on when you're going to be out that way, and how much driving you want to do. Runoff will largely dictate what streams are fishing well, and what bugs are coming off. The Gallatin is a nice stream along the northwest edge of the Park, and the Lamar Valley in the northeast is gorgeous scenery, plus excellent fishing in the Lamar, Soda Butte, and Slough Creek.

Craig Matthews put out an excellent book on the fishing in Yellowstone- The Yellowstone Fly Fishing Guide. It lists access and hatch charts for all the major waters and tons of smaller streams as well. Other than that, keep in touch with local flyshops- Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone is a good one, as is Parks in Gardiner.

Good luck!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Don't know when you're talking about by saying "spring", but hope you know that fishing season within the park doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_a View Post
Don't know when you're talking about by saying "spring", but hope you know that fishing season within the park doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend.
Exactly. I was there June 10-20 this year. The Firehole (especially) changes weekly as it warms. Local weather matters a lot; this year the Firehole stayed good longer than a year ago.

Best to check on this forum, fishing reports on the web, and ask at shops in the area when you arrive.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a platial map of Yellowstone with some very useful information that you might enjoy viewing while planning your trip:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?gl=u...HAuGMARs2ub84w

Larry
Hardyreels and pm287 like this.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 PM

jared7136 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone, those are great ideas and questions. I'm going May 23rd to the 30th. the first few days will be spent with the family and the last three to four days I get to spend fishing. I took your advice and pickup the The Yellowstone Fly Fishing Guide and that has some great ideas.

Jared
Old 02-24-2014, 06:49 PM

smoothie will become famous soon enough

I'm jealous! I'd love to fish in West Yellowstone on opening weekend.

I love the Firehole River. It's amazing! If you go to Fountain Flats parking lot, it takes you to a nice stretch of the river where you can get away from the crowds. Opening weekend can get very crowded.

Check out this blog: Fly Fishing In Yellowstone National Park

It will give you very pertinent info. about opening weekend for fishing in YNP.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road

It is extremely unlikely the Madison and Gibbon will be fishable on or near the opener this year. Years with average snowpack they are not ready at that point and given our high and rapidly increasing snowpack so far this winter, the Firehole is likely going to be the only game in town inside the park. If the snowpack keeps climbing (it was 20 points lower in the Madison drainage inside the park less than a month ago), even the Firehole could be questionable depending on how it melts.

Overall we are anticipating our heaviest runoff since 2011 and late summer fishing will be much, much better than early season fishing, unlike the past two years. For comparison, the Yellowstone basin inside the park has 40% more snowpack than it did last year to this point.

I give a full rundown of what we expect for this season on the News Page at www.parksflyshop.com
mcnerney, ghocevar and smoothie like this.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:34 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longs for Cutts View Post
It is extremely unlikely the Madison and Gibbon will be fishable on or near the opener this year. Years with average snowpack they are not ready at that point and given our high and rapidly increasing snowpack so far this winter, the Firehole is likely going to be the only game in town inside the park. If the snowpack keeps climbing (it was 20 points lower in the Madison drainage inside the park less than a month ago), even the Firehole could be questionable depending on how it melts.

Overall we are anticipating our heaviest runoff since 2011 and late summer fishing will be much, much better than early season fishing, unlike the past two years. For comparison, the Yellowstone basin inside the park has 40% more snowpack than it did last year to this point.

I give a full rundown of what we expect for this season on the News Page at www.parksflyshop.com
Excellent resource for those of us heading to YNP this summer. Thanks much.