The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Mid-late November Montana (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/335970-mid-late-november-montana.html)

gutterpunk 11-01-2013 08:51 PM

Mid-late November Montana

I'm going to be in North Idaho and Montana the week of November 18. I know it's late, but might there be some afternoon hatches if there are some warmer days? Any spots along the lower Clark Fork or other better than others this time of year? I'd like to check out some smaller water such as the Bull River, but don't know anything about the fishing this time of year. I assume there might be a hatch here or there but should count on nymphs and streamers.

Advice?

fredaevans 11-02-2013 07:00 AM

Re: Mid-late November Montana

Montana's fishing Reg's are on line so check where IF you can fish and where. Bye the bye as to what/where they are an exceptional read. Not just 'Here's the Rules' but what you can expect to find when you get there.

fae

gutterpunk 11-02-2013 11:45 AM

Ah, good advice, thanks.

cpiercem 11-02-2013 12:18 PM

If it is anything like our waters here in South Idaho, I would expect to find maybe a few BWO still around, but otherwise mostly midges. Small BWO, Griffith's Gnats, and Renegades for the top. Nymphs and streamers depending on what's in the water.

dean_mt 11-02-2013 04:58 PM

Hi gutterpunk,
The Clark fork is open to fishing year round, so no worries there. The tribs are what close, so definitely check on those. I'm not familiar with water close to the ID border but the lower Clark fishes great down to Superior.

As for better spot than others, yes the Clark is definitely a river that has better sections than others. Unfortunately I don't what they are down there, I've only ever floated down to St. Regis. How far into Montana are you willing to come? The other thing is the lower Clark Fk is better floated, its a pretty big broad river. But it will be low and it is fishable on foot. Don't let the size scare you away. Most of the fish are on the banks anyway, at least in the summer. You could run into small Baetis and midges hatching. Walk the bank and watch for noses, the Bows in the Clarky are notorious for podding up. Its not unlikely to see a dozen very nice fish rising in one small area. It's awesome fun when you find them.

As for small streams, check if the St. Regis River is open, I-90 run along it on your down into MT. So you have deal with interstate noise but its a nice little stream.

gutterpunk 11-03-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 607117)
Hi gutterpunk,
The Clark fork is open to fishing year round, so no worries there. The tribs are what close, so definitely check on those. I'm not familiar with water close to the ID border but the lower Clark fishes great down to Superior.

As for better spot than others, yes the Clark is definitely a river that has better sections than others. Unfortunately I don't what they are down there, I've only ever floated down to St. Regis. How far into Montana are you willing to come? The other thing is the lower Clark Fk is better floated, its a pretty big broad river. But it will be low and it is fishable on foot. Don't let the size scare you away. Most of the fish are on the banks anyway, at least in the summer. You could run into small Baetis and midges hatching. Walk the bank and watch for noses, the Bows in the Clarky are notorious for podding up. Its not unlikely to see a dozen very nice fish rising in one small area. It's awesome fun when you find them.

As for small streams, check if the St. Regis River is open, I-90 run along it on your down into MT. So you have deal with interstate noise but its a nice little stream.

Perfect, thanks. I've waded the Clark Fork at various points, some on big water downstream of Missoula (some where I said, uh, I guess this is okay--with an experienced local, not knowing any better myself). So I'm okay finding some good seams close, even in bigger water.

One day, I can probably drive a little beyond Thompson Falls. But then I'll be driving to Helena (Hopefully fishing along the way), so I can stop here and there.

dean_mt 11-04-2013 07:55 AM

Cool, it is a pretty intimidating proposition - wade fishing that big water - if you've never done it and don't know where to look. But you know what to do so that's good.

On your way to Helena you'll have a lot of nice opportunities. For ease and time, try getting off 90 at Turah and fishing that section, very nice wading in there. Rock Creek dumps in just a 10 or so miles above that and upstream of that convergence the Clark Fk doesn't fish as well till you get up to Drummond. Good luck man, let me know how you do.

gutterpunk 11-06-2013 04:03 PM

This is great, thanks. Should I count on BWO if I see anything on the water, ut otherwise swing some nymphs?

MTskibum 11-07-2013 02:41 PM

There are walk-in areas around the deer lodge-anaconda area. The first 10 miles after the settling ponds has great fishing and easy access. Plus in all the times i fished around there hardly anyone else ever fished it.

If I ever made it back up to Montana that spot would be in the top 10 that I would go back and fish.

learning2fly 11-22-2013 04:50 PM

I agree with skibum, thats some good advise and good fishing access there! Good luck. There are always midges coming off of the water here in deep winter. Tiny but theyre there