The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By pho_phizzat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 02:39 PM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road
Default Bighorn, Ft Smith MT

Headed to the Bighorn tomorrow night. Looks like we will have fair weather and the streamer bite is on. Cannot beat that. Anything I need besides standard Bighorn bugs (scuds, Ray Charles, firebeads and beatius) and my trusty yellow dog?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bighorn, Ft Smith MT

Sounds like you have a handle on the flies, best of luck, have a great time and be sure to do a trip reort when you get back!
Where are you planning on staying?

Larry

Old 11-08-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Sounds like you have a handle on the flies, best of luck, have a great time and be sure to do a trip reort when you get back!
Where are you planning on staying?

Larry
Thanks Larry.

We usually try to stay at the cottonwood camp. They have some nice cabins with kitchens and are usually pretty fairly priced. I think I am paying 85 per night for 4 of us in one cabin. We have been staying there for the last 17 or so years.

I have also stayed in the Bluffhouse on a company "business" trip it was nice too but I think it is pretty spendy.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a pretty cheap way to go.

In October, Chase, Rod and I split the cost of a cabin in Alcova, WY, it was $90/ night so split three ways was nice and the cabin had a fully stocked kitchen so all we had to do was bring the food. Turned out to a really nice place, especially when the blizzard hit and dropped 12 inches of snow overnight.

The streamer bite should be pretty good on the Bighorn this time of year, best of luck!

Larry

Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Update:

We had a blast. Had 5 people, two boats and two crazy yellow dogs. Fiberglass hatch was on full bore with 20-30 other boats on the river. Fishing was steady but not lights out. Most fish on Saturday were brought in on wine worms, orange scuds and a few on beatis nymphs. Mostly Browns with a few rainbows thrown in. Saturday evening I pulled in a few nice browns on a brown and yellow streamer. Biggest fish of the trip was caught that way and was right at 19 inches.

Sunday was a bit different, Red midge, beatis nymphs, and black caddis seemed to do well. Fishing was a bit better than the previous day.

Hope to get some pictures off of my camera and I will Post them up.
fredaevans, shortyb and mridenour like this.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Sounds like a great trip, looking forward to seeing the photos!

Larry