The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 5 Post By ted4887
  • 2 Post By littledavid123
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 3 Post By dhayden
  • 3 Post By dean_mt
  • 2 Post By Longs for Cutts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 06:11 PM

clibb is on a distinguished road
Default Looking to go to Montana

Hey guys,

A couple friends and I are looking to head to Montana this spring. We are looking for some good lakes where you can boat and that has all sorts of different trout and other warm water fish. Do any of you guys have any suggestions? Lodging and guides? Any info would help! I wish they could do rivers. Due to knee issues, my friends can only do boat fishing.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking to go to Montana

Why not check out the Missouri river in Craig, MT? I am about 99% sure you can rent drift boats out there from the shops, and the fishing is second to none. Plus, it's a tailwater fishery so water levels are pretty constant. If the river isn't your thing, the reservoir is right there for you to do your thing in too.

Legit chances at 20" fish, and as fun as it gets if you're interested in fishing dries. I've never seen fish rise like they do on the Missouri. It's simply incredible.

If your interested, I'd give Headhunters Fly Shop, The Trout Shop, or Cross Currents a call.

If camping isn't there are some cheap trailers in town that you can rent out. Aside from those, I'm sure there are houses for rent in the area too. VRBO.com is always a good option to look for rentals in a certain area.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:33 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Georgetown Lake might be a cool place to go, I know they have a lot of big rainbows but can't speak for the warmwater species (they will have guides for there also, look that up on the internet. It is also in a cool area, take Skalkaho Highway (38) to Hamilton it's a good dirt road with breathtaking scenery. Another cool road is going North on Highway 1, there is some good stream fishing but check regulations first. I am sure others will have some good ideas too.

Dave
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of prior posts on fishing in Montana (search function above); just remember its one hell of a big State. Pick your area and stay in side of same ....

Other thing (which I'm always reminding folks) is Petrol Stations can be few and far between. Keep your car fueled up!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

You might look into Hebgen Lake

Close to the park, lots of things to do there, lots of fishing possibilities

You might give these guys a call:

Blue Ribbon Flies - Hebgen Lake Trips

Really depends on what you call spring...
imxer, mcnerney and cletus like this.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
You might look into Hebgen Lake

Close to the park, lots of things to do there, lots of fishing possibilities

You might give these guys a call:

Blue Ribbon Flies - Hebgen Lake Trips

Really depends on what you call spring...
+1 for what Dave recommended. The marina on the north shore has boat rentals and cabin rentals. Not sure about the marina on the south shore, but just guessing it probably does also. For a change of pace you would be close to Henry's Lake.

Larry

Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of good recommendations.

I assume you are driving and pulling a boat; which direction are you coming from? I ask because Montana is a huge state, you can drive for 8 hours in one direction...and still be in Montana!

Clark Canyon Reservoir in SW Montana is excellent trout fishing, not sure about warm water.

I liked the Craig, Montana suggestion. Holter Dam is there, above it is Holter Lake with warm water species and trout. The 10 miles of Missouri River below the dam is some of the best trout fishing in the West.

===============
Add:

If you are hardware fishermen, don't over look Fort Peck Lake in the far NE nether regions of Montana. It's huge and holds a lot of species of warm and cold water fish, from salmon to walleye, bass, lake trout, pike...
imxer, mcnerney and cletus like this.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:42 AM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road

You said you're looking for a lake with trout and warm water fish. Not many have both. Also bear in mind that ice-out ranges from sometime in April to sometime in May depending on where we're talking about. Hebgen doesn't usually ice-out until mid-May.

If you want warmwater fish, Tongue River Reservoir is good if you have an outboard-powered boat. If you just have an electric motor or oars, Castle Rock Lake near Colstrip is a blast in late May for surprisingly big bluegill for Montana as well as bass and small pike.
mcnerney and NDflyfisher like this.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:44 PM

mengo_charged is on a distinguished road

Any of the reservoirs that are part of the Missouri River (Helena) would be a great place to check out. You have Canyon Ferry, Hauser, and Holter. Perfect if you have a boat with a motor. I know people pull big Walleyes out of Canyon along with your typical big Rainbows too. I just moved here a few months ago and it's great fishing!