The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 AM

smoothie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: '14 midwest trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicfly View Post
Ok called parks fly shop. The only real idea is renting a car. But I figure I'm getting free airfare and 2 night in a hotel free. $200 for a rental isn't bad. I'm planning on going july 22-27 and they said I might have trouble getting a camping permit but can just wonder into the national forest where I don't need one.

Now as far as fishing locations on the slough, I don't mind a hike. I can do 15-20 miles a day no prob. Although I'm taking my girl and she isn't as experienced as me. So more than likely cut that in half. I've browsed over some topos quick and it seems like its not too bad. But need to look in more detail.

Jason

I know it's not fun to fork out $200 to get a car, but it will make your trip go way better. I've only fished Slough Creek twice and both times it was quite crowded. Other options that you can explore and get away from the crowds if Slough Creek doesn't offer you enough solitude include:

The Yellowstone River. Seven Mile Hole (amazing hike), or you can hike upstream several miles above Tower Falls...I've also heard that the Black Canyon section has some good sections.

The Lamar (between the Slough Creek and Yellowstone confluences...also, you could hike upstream above Cache Creek.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM

toxicfly is on a distinguished road

Ok its official (almost) I just faxed my backcounty camping permit application. First choice was 2s8 and second 2s6 both around the 3rd meadow. If I don't get either of them ill hike the extra 3 miles to the national forest where I don't need a camping permit. Ill be out there july 23, 24 and 25. Now I have 4 months to study topos and fishing in that area.

Went to cabelas this past weekend and bought a 4pc 9'9 5wt for the trip. Now I gotta stock up of flys and from what I've been reading about slough, lots of terrestrials.

Jason
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Ok its official (almost) I just faxed my backcounty camping permit application. First choice was 2s8 and second 2s6 both around the 3rd meadow. If I don't get either of them ill hike the extra 3 miles to the national forest where I don't need a camping permit. Ill be out there july 23, 24 and 25. Now I have 4 months to study topos and fishing in that area.

Went to cabelas this past weekend and bought a 4pc 9'9 5wt for the trip. Now I gotta stock up of flys and from what I've been reading about slough, lots of terrestrials.

Jason
I'm very excited for you! Slough Creek is truly an amazing river. I'd be prepared with some mayflies, drakes and caddis along with your terrestrials. Be sure to bring some small tippet (6x). If the fish get picky, try using several different ant patterns. I doubt the hoppers will be going that early in the season, but ants and beetles should work well. I love a dark gray / black PMX that imitates crickets.

Also, it sounds quite strange, but in the morning hours don't be afraid to tie on a big black wooley bugger or streamer. A couple years ago I caught about seven huge cutties out of one deep hole (in the 2nd meadow) all on a big black conehead streamer.

If you get a chance at the begining or end of your trip, you've got to at least try the Lamar and / or the Yellowstone for a couple hours.

Good luck w/ the permit request. Crossing fingers and offering positive thoughts your way!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Smoothie: have you ever walked the creekside other than the trail? I've been looking at google earth and the trail leaves the creek in a few places, mainly from trailhead to first meadow. Have you ever ventured this stretch? I plan on backpacking the creek itself and wondered if it was worth it.

Jason
Old 03-27-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Smoothie: have you ever walked the creekside other than the trail? I've been looking at google earth and the trail leaves the creek in a few places, mainly from trailhead to first meadow. Have you ever ventured this stretch? I plan on backpacking the creek itself and wondered if it was worth it.

Jason
Jason,

No, I've only really fished Slough Creek twice. Both times we hiked up to the 2nd meadow. I've talked to some guys who have fished the entire creek all the way up to the 2nd meadow. They said it wasn't worth it. Apparently, the fish between the meadows are much smaller and fewer in numbers.

I've only hiked along the trail and fished in the 1st and 2nd meadows. Each meadow does provide a pretty good stretch of stream. I think if you were going to come back and fish Slough each year, then it would be worth it to give the entire river a try. Who knows...maybe the guys who I spoke to a couple years ago were just messing with me. I have fished the very bottom of Slough Creek where it enters the Lamar. I can verify that this stretch of the river has a ton of fish...however...they are all about 6 inches big. Most of them are rainbows.

You should ask around to others who have more experience than I do with Slough creek...they might give you different info. that I am giving you. But, I would recommend fishing the 2nd or 3rd meadows on Slough and not mess with the water in between the meadows. I think there is a reason that nobody fishes those sections.

Here's a few of my photos of Slough Creek:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:23 PM

Oh my Matt! That is a beautiful fish! Awesome pictures as well! I can see myself sitting on the sandbar in the first pic catching a monster trout.

Do you know if there is a difference between the 3rd meadow and Frenchies meadow? Some lead that the 3rd is different and that Frenchies is farther north in the national forest?

There doesnt seem to to be alot of info above the 2nd meadow. Which I will admit is good because that means its less fished(or atleast written about).

I cant take that this trip is 3 months away! Ivn been ordering topos, a new tent,(which is only 4#!!!). My company booked the hotel today, be staying at the best western plus in gardiner. I have become obsessed with trip. My girl is sick of hearing about it. Maybe yall are too lol but i dont care its my thread haha. Im excited as all get out, this is my dream trip thats finally coming true!!

Here's some info to keep it informative, more to follow.

http://www.iffa.org.uk/favorite5.htm

Last edited by toxicfly; 04-01-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Oh my Matt! That is a beautiful fish! Awesome pictures as well! I can see myself sitting on the sandbar in the first pic catching a monster trout.

Do you know if there is a difference between the 3rd meadow and Frenchies meadow? Some lead that the 3rd is different and that Frenchies is farther north in the national forest?

There doesnt seem to to be alot of info above the 2nd meadow. Which I will admit is good because that means its less fished(or atleast written about).

I cant take that this trip is 3 months away! Ivn been ordering topos, a new tent,(which is only 4#!!!). My company booked the hotel today, be staying at the best western plus in gardiner. I have become obsessed with trip. My girl is sick of hearing about it. Maybe yall are too lol but i dont care its my thread haha. Im excited as all get out, this is my dream trip thats finally coming true!!

Here's some info to keep it informative, more to follow.

International Fly Fishing Association

I have never fished above the 2nd meadow...so, I'm honeslty not sure the difference between the 3rd meadow and "Frenchy's Meadow". I read the link you provided in your last post. Very cool story about the French dude.

I can relate to being obsessed with a trip to YNP. I've been fly fishing in YNP for about six years now, and I can't get enough of it. This time of year especially I spend a lot of time day dreaming about the Lamar River on a nice summer day.

If you decide to fish outside of the Park, make sure to have a Montana fishing license. You can buy them online prior to your trip if you know the dates. You will need a separate fishing license to fish within the boundaries of YNP. I think it's about $25 / week.

Are you thinking of fishing any rivers besides Slough Creek?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 PM

I'm not 100% yet on other waters. I'm going july 22-27 and 3 of those days will be backpacking the slough. I'm flyinging into bozeman and I doubt I can resist the temtation to fish the yellowstone, since ill be driving down it. I'm staying my first night in gardiner at the best western plus, right on the river so more than likely ill be fishing that in the evening. My flight lands at 1pm so ill have some time to kill.

You local? Be nice to meet up for a pint or 3 and talk fish

Jason
Old 04-03-2014, 12:44 AM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

It really is a beautiful place.

Late July, especially this year, you should still run into some mayfly hatches.
Make sure you have some spinner patterns that will match the mayflies that have hatched.
Often times late in the day there will be big fish cruising the banks and rising to the spinner fall. If you have the right pattern those big cutties will eat it. If you don't you will be surprised at just how selective a cuttie can be.

Also, I've fished between the first and second meadow.
There's nice fish in there as well.
It's kind of cool in there but I wouldn't make it a destination over the meadows until you've actually fished them a bit. They are what the creek is all about.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:30 PM

Just got a call from the YNP backcountry permit office. Got my camping permit for 2 out of the 3 nights. She said I might be able to get a site as a walk in the day of my trip. If not ill just walk up to the national forest my last day.

Jason
smoothie likes this.