The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 12:57 PM

toxicfly is on a distinguished road
Default '14 midwest trip

Hey y'all! As some of you know I have won a trip anywhere in the lower 48 through my company. So what better than to plan an epic backpacking/fly fishing trip. I have always dreamed of fishing a beautiful location. I have pretty much decided on fishing yellowstone park. I've picked up some topo maps for Firehole from the beginning to just around old faithful. Id like to spend a day or 2 fishing this because it seems pretty accessible for the roadway.

I would also like to plan a backpack trip. Nothing more than maybe a half day or so in. Then set up camp for a few days and hike back out. But it needs to be a location that I can fish for a few days and not get tired of it.

This thread is intended to keep track of my trip planning and execution. With question I'm sure to have along the way

Right now I'm looking for suggestions on when to go. I know the firehole gets too hot for good fishing later in the season. I'm looking to go around june/july. I'm mostly looking to fish drys. And would also like some ideas on backcountry locations and map quads if you can.

Thanks

Jason
smoothie likes this.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:44 PM

Default Re: '14 midwest trip

Ok got some questions. I think I'm just going to fish the firehole on my trip. When is a good time to fish it? I was looking at late june or anytime in july with the exception of the week of 4th of july. Also what are some good streams that feed firehole? I am looking into backpacking down one of these smaller streams for some backcountry fishing. I was looking at maybe the nez perce and magpie.

Jason
Old 03-12-2014, 05:04 PM

bmfa is on a distinguished road

The Firehole is ok, I prefer Slough Creek or even the Lamar on the NE side of the park. Bigger fish and away from the road. Just my 2cents.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:22 PM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough

If you are going to be in Yellowstone, do yourself a favor and drive just outside the park to the Beartooth mountains and do your backpacking trip there. You will not have the permitting hassle of the National Park and enjoy scenery that is simply brilliant. The fishing is good in the right spots, though I will not guarantee you any trophies. The Beartooths have some of the best access to alpine mountain lakes down here, and you'd be seriously shorting yourself to not go there if you ask me. The Montana Fish and Wildlife service puts out an excellent sampling report that should help finding what fish you want to catch. http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.jsp?id=59404 Be aware that many areas in the Beartooths with brookies are overrun by them and they are all fish sticks. There is good fishing in a lot of lakes, however. For maps, Beartooth Publishing makes a decent map of the range for basic planning, but you will want to get more detailed maps once you get your route nailed down a bit more as they lack the detail of 7.5 minute quads.

If you can spare more than a couple days you can get to some great places.
Click the image to open in full size.

If you're in good shape this lake is accessible in a day.
Click the image to open in full size.

There are tons of options in lower country as well, but if you skip the alpine areas while there, you're simply shorting yourself.
mcnerney, cpiercem and shortyb like this.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:39 PM

troutfanatic is on a distinguished road

I would say anytime in June would be a good time to fish the Firehole. I was there in early June last year and there were lots of caddis around. If I was going in July I would consider going around the second week of July and maybe hitting the Salmonfly hatch on the Madison or the Yellowstone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Can't help with the backpacking part.. I just drive down there

I really enjoy the Firehole, the biggest issue is everyone wants to fish it so it can get crowded.. you just have to find spots that are more than 100 yard walk, since most people seem to want to park in front on their fishing spot.. human nature.

June is better, July can spike temperatures. Given your dates.. earlier is better

Nice dry fly and emerger fishing
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Kyo is on a distinguished road

I'd have to side with Dave, "most people seem to want to park in front on their fishing spot.. human nature." But it's also a case of security as lots of cars get broken into at trail heads and such these days.

Get a copy of Fishing the Beartooths and Hiking the Beartooths. Good resources. And the there's several on Yellowstone. The guy at Park's Fly Shop did one that's pretty good.

Yellowstone and the Beartooths traditionally get a lot of late spring snow
and this year we're at well over 100% snow pack. Thus the back packing trip might be best served later in summer.

Just my too cents.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 PM

Awesome locations guys! But the only thing is I would rather stick to streams. I've never had much luck fishing lakes and ponds. I'm not set on the firehole but would like to stay somewhat close because I promised the old lady we would do a day of touristy things and she has fell in love with all the stuff around firehole.

I'm also not dead set on any real dates yet some I'm also open to suggestions on that.

Jason
Old 03-19-2014, 01:40 PM

Ok its looking like I'm going to backpack along the nez perce and up to the magpie. Heard its a nice hike and decent fishing. It seems that most people who fish the park don't venture far from their cars. This should lead to some nice peaceful and good fishing.

As far as dates I'm thinking the end of july now. Any thoughts on this?

Jason
Old 03-19-2014, 02:19 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

You just have to be careful of water that gets too warm...

I doubt this will be one of those years.. but they have closed fishing in the park in July/August previously, or had restrictions.. like it's ok before noon and after 6pm

Sounds like it'll be a good trip

Check in with Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone on your way in