The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By Eddie O'Neill
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By shortyb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 12:34 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default First time out

Had last Monday off. Kids in school, wife at work, forecast in the 70's so I headed for Deckers. Not too many people on the water and it was a beautiful day to fish. It felt very good to step into the river since I haven't been able to get out since December. I realized how easy it is to lose my touch as I went for a lot of the morning without a good hook-up. Started the day above Deckers and finished it a bit below the bridge down from the fly shop. Did get some nice strikes on nymphs and streamers, landed one and lost a very nice brown to finish the day. Here are a few shots - a couple of the river and one of the rainbow who took a #10 golden stone drifted through a deep and fast run. The brown took a 24 baetis nymph and threw it after a brief fight.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:47 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First time out

Looks great, thanks for posting the pictures the Brownies will get you every time, smart fish
williamhj likes this.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

William: Congrats on getting out on the water, that certainly is a hard place to concentrate on fishing, the scenery is just awesome. A Brown on a size 24 fly is a tough proposition anytime.

Larry
williamhj and shortyb like this.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
William: Congrats on getting out on the water. A Brown on a size 24 fly is a tough proposition anytime.

Larry
Agreed, bet I feels good to hook up for the first time this year. I can't wait!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:10 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

It was a great day to get out, glad to see some nice pics of fish. Looks like a great day, beautiful scenery and fish.

I haven't got to fish the Deckers stretch ever, just once up Cheesman Canyon

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-17-2014, 07:21 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I was a great day both weather, scenery and finally getting on the water. Hope to head out again soon Deckers can be pretty busy making the fishing not fun, but during the week it isn't bad and I enjoy fishing it.
shortyb likes this.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:45 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Deckers can be pretty busy making the fishing not fun, but during the week it isn't bad and I enjoy fishing it.
That's why I love having weekdays off!

B
williamhj likes this.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
That's why I love having weekdays off!

B
Should be getting one off every other week (without taking PTO), lots of fishing in my future