The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Planning a YNP Trip - Seeking Advice

I fished last year in the park for a week. So I am by no means a YNP expert. The one thing I wished I did was set up reservations within the park. Driving from outside the park each morning to your fishing location can get old. It might sound rude, but having to wait in line behind tourist stopping for every animal they see can be difficult when you know the fish are rising. I would try to determine where you want to fish and see if you can jump from place to place in the park doing a general loop. As mentioned, the park can fill up quick, so you might already be to late. Best of luck.
mcnerney and smoothie like this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Oh man, thanks for the sage advice guys!

While driving distances for me is normal living in SoCal (My average drive to closest fly waters that don't have diaper hatches is anywhere from 90 to 120 minute) I completely realized about the slow crawl that will undoubtedly happen when you have rubber neckers on the road. I know it'll only say 50 or 60 miles on the map, but factoring in driving at no more than 30 mph.....

Thanks for the suggestions for lodging. I'm currently looking into it, and perhaps staying one night on the west side when we first arrive, then making moves further north east on the very next day.

Thanks and I'll definitely keep everyone posted on the progress.

OH, and another question, what will the weather be like in mid-September in the area?
Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
OH, and another question, what will the weather be like in mid-September in the area?
Here is a link to the weather history of Sept (high and low temps) for Cooke City, MT, scroll down the page.
Weather History for Yellowstone, WY | Weather Underground

Larry

Old 04-02-2014, 04:25 PM

smoothie will become famous soon enough

If you are waiting till mid September to do your trip...that could actually change your fishing options quite a bit.

As summer winds down and cooler temps move into the area, the West side of the park starts to fish well again. The N.E. section will also be fishing well at that point, so you might be able to time it perfectly to fish the West Side and the north east rivers.

If you just check all the fishing links that we've sent you, then you will have up to the minute reports on all the rivers in the park: water temps, water levels, hatches, terrestrial info, etc.

It's very wise to be looking at the current fishing reports on all the rivers in and around the park...fishing conditions can change very quickly inside YNP!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention that there is a pretty good blog on fishing Yellowstone and if you look on the left side bar it has a current wx forecast and also recommended places to stay (he is located in West Yellowstone, so he is probably recommending places nearby), but there is also some other information there that you might find useful in planning your trip this summer.
Fly Fishing In Yellowstone National Park

Larry
smoothie likes this.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:49 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Slowly coming together....

I've made the decision to push this back to the week of September 22 - 28th, hoping that winter doesn't arrive early. Checkin' the temperatures, it won't be anything I can't handle.

Pushing the date back opened up a lot of accommodation opportunities, and I'm about to pull the trigger on some cabins on the Northeast side of the park.

The only point to contend with is whether I want to break the drive in into two days, spending the first day driving from LA to maybe somewhere in Southeastern Idaho and spending the night there, and fishing the area on the 2nd day, then making the 2nd leg of the trip to the Northeast side of the park.

Or, it'll be a straight drive from LA to the Northeast side of the park, which sounds like a bit of a trek.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:32 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I've made the drive from the Bay Area to Bozeman non-stop.. it was 15+ hours and you have much further to go.. from Bozeman to Cooke City must be 3.0 hours

You might see how long it would be to get to Idaho Falls.. that still might be too far, but from there it's not far in the morning to some nice places.. Island Park for instance
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I've made the drive from the Bay Area to Bozeman non-stop.. it was 15+ hours and you have much further to go.. from Bozeman to Cooke City must be 3.0 hours

You might see how long it would be to get to Idaho Falls.. that still might be too far, but from there it's not far in the morning to some nice places.. Island Park for instance
Dave,

Google has the trip from LA to Idaho Falls at 12 hours. I figure leaving LA at midnight will allow me to drive to Idaho Falls and fish the afternoon and then check in to a local motel after dark.

From Idaho Falls to the Northeast end of the park, it figures to be another 5 hours. Yikes.

That means the next day, I can elect to get up early and make the drive, and fish some of the Northeast areas of YNP in the afternoon, or stay locally in Idaho if the action is great, and then making the drive in the evening and checking in.

Regardless, a 17 hour drive directly to the Northeast end of the park from LA nonstop is seeming more and more like craziness.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:20 PM

smoothie will become famous soon enough

If you fish it that late into September, it opens up the whole park to fish. With all the snow they have in the Yellowstone area this year, the flows should be fine in mid / late Sept.

The Firehole River is very close to West Yellowstone, and it should fish really well in mid September. The Firehole river is amazing! The fish aren't huge. It's all browns and rainbows, but it's the most unique trout stream in the world! If you can stay in W. Yellowstone the first night of your trip and hit the Firehole for even half a day, you won't be disappointed.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie View Post
If you fish it that late into September, it opens up the whole park to fish. With all the snow they have in the Yellowstone area this year, the flows should be fine in mid / late Sept.

The Firehole River is very close to West Yellowstone, and it should fish really well in mid September. The Firehole river is amazing! The fish aren't huge. It's all browns and rainbows, but it's the most unique trout stream in the world! If you can stay in W. Yellowstone the first night of your trip and hit the Firehole for even half a day, you won't be disappointed.
I've been doing research since January on the specific watersheds and tributaries, but that research was based on a trip in the late summer. The Firehole was not recommended, as it warms too much.

But, since the trip was pushed back, that opens up the areas that i skimmed over that were not recommended during the summer.

Back to researching!