The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 05:08 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Planning a YNP Trip - Seeking Advice

In a very general sense.. everything fishes well then, it might be harder to find water that did not

West Yellowstone.. gives you excellent to good to fair access to lots of nice rivers outside the park

And you can probably find camping inside the park then.. but I admit - I don't need to camp there, so my experience is just on observations.. just look for camp grounds that allow soft sided camping (they can change with bear activity)
yonder likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:01 PM

smoothie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
I've been doing research since January on the specific watersheds and tributaries, but that research was based on a trip in the late summer. The Firehole was not recommended, as it warms too much.

But, since the trip was pushed back, that opens up the areas that i skimmed over that were not recommended during the summer.

Back to researching!

One nice thing about fishing in and around Yellowstone is that there are multiple flyshops, blogs, etc. that give very accurate info. about fishing conditions. The fishing reports are credible and up to date. So, you will know what is fishing well in the park and what rivers are in good shape prior to coming. But, since you have to book your lodging well in advance it makes it a bit tricky.

Generally, when people want to fish in the park in the summer they are forced to choose between the west side rivers (Firehole, Madison,Gibbon) and east side rivers (Lamar, Soda Butte, Yellowstone, Slough Creek). The west side fishes good from opening day (Memorial Day weekend) till early / mid July. Then, starting in mid July (in a typical water year), the East side rivers start to fish well.

You are going to face the unique "problem" of having to choose between almost every river in the park. If I were you I would spend at least one full day on the West side and then another couple days on the East Side. I'd stay the first night in W. Yellowstone and then the other nights in Cooke City. If it doesn't get too cold before your trip, you might get some great hopper fishing!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:06 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie View Post
One nice thing about fishing in and around Yellowstone is that there are multiple flyshops, blogs, etc. that give very accurate info. about fishing conditions. The fishing reports are credible and up to date. So, you will know what is fishing well in the park and what rivers are in good shape prior to coming. But, since you have to book your lodging well in advance it makes it a bit tricky.

Generally, when people want to fish in the park in the summer they are forced to choose between the west side rivers (Firehole, Madison,Gibbon) and east side rivers (Lamar, Soda Butte, Yellowstone, Slough Creek). The west side fishes good from opening day (Memorial Day weekend) till early / mid July. Then, starting in mid July (in a typical water year), the East side rivers start to fish well.

You are going to face the unique "problem" of having to choose between almost every river in the park. If I were you I would spend at least one full day on the West side and then another couple days on the East Side. I'd stay the first night in W. Yellowstone and then the other nights in Cooke City. If it doesn't get too cold before your trip, you might get some great hopper fishing!
And you'll know when it's hopper time. Those suckers are LOUD when they launch from beneath your feet at Yellowstone!
yonder and smoothie like this.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:49 AM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Would Idaho Falls be a good place to stop and spend night 1 before moving operations to the NE end of the park?

I'm looking at Henry's Fork and the Snake, and hope they'd be fishing well in late September.

Of course, I could stop further south (It looks like I'll be taking the 15 all the way up).

Any suggestions for a stop on day 1 on the way to the park?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:17 PM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

I would stop at the Grub Stake to grab a sandwich in Island Park.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:22 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

Man, this thread is making me want to go back. Granted I didn't fish the park I did put in the Henry's Fork and the Snake as well as some of the feeders to the Hoback south of Jackson where I had most success.
Have a great trip and for crying out loud take pics and post a trip review.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 PM

bmcgeehan is on a distinguished road

I live in Bozeman and we guide across southwest Montana. Cliff and Wade lakes are beautiful. If you are doing mostly DIY fishing you will be about 15 minutes from the wade fishing of the Upper Madison near Quake Lake. The lakes are tough to fish without a boat but are gin clear and gorgeous although the trout are tough in August. If you are fishing for a full week you won't have many options there besides the wade section of the Madison. In the float section below Lyons bridge it is pretty intimidating if you don't have a boat. The West side of the Park gets warm in August so fishing inside of YNP is best between Cooke City and Gardiner and you are a long way from that. I would recommend no more than 3 nights basing out of the cabin near Cliff and Wade. You would be better off doing some camping in the Gallatin Canyon or even in the Park somewhere. For DIY wade fishing you need smaller waters - Yellowstone NP is great if you like to hike (otherwise crowded). The Gallatin Canyon has lots of public land and easy access. The Ruby has a few public access points below the dam. The Boulder and Stillwater drainages have a lot of NF land and public access. Enjoy the trip - we have a great water year this year so early August should be outstanding.
toxicfly and smoothie like this.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:44 AM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgeehan View Post
I live in Bozeman and we guide across southwest Montana. Cliff and Wade lakes are beautiful. If you are doing mostly DIY fishing you will be about 15 minutes from the wade fishing of the Upper Madison near Quake Lake. The lakes are tough to fish without a boat but are gin clear and gorgeous although the trout are tough in August. If you are fishing for a full week you won't have many options there besides the wade section of the Madison. In the float section below Lyons bridge it is pretty intimidating if you don't have a boat. The West side of the Park gets warm in August so fishing inside of YNP is best between Cooke City and Gardiner and you are a long way from that. I would recommend no more than 3 nights basing out of the cabin near Cliff and Wade. You would be better off doing some camping in the Gallatin Canyon or even in the Park somewhere. For DIY wade fishing you need smaller waters - Yellowstone NP is great if you like to hike (otherwise crowded). The Gallatin Canyon has lots of public land and easy access. The Ruby has a few public access points below the dam. The Boulder and Stillwater drainages have a lot of NF land and public access. Enjoy the trip - we have a great water year this year so early August should be outstanding.
Brian,

Once again, a wealth of advice!

Through people's suggestions, I not only changed the location of 'base camp' but also changed the dates of my trip.

Instead of staying near the western entrance, I've managed to secure lodging on the northeast side of the park, near Cooke City. I am going to spend one day on the western side, but closer to Idaho City and perhaps hit up one of the famed rivers near there.

Also, the trip is now slated for the week of September 22nd, instead of August.

I'm researching again how these bodies of water fish during late September, but am excited at the possibilities.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:58 AM

bmcgeehan is on a distinguished road

Dark Shaddow,

So. Late September is OK for the East side of the park but if it is getting cold early those fisheries take a long time to wake up. Generally we like the East side of the park from July to September and then shift back to the west side to fish the Madison, Firehole and Gibbon in Late September and October. So I think the lamar, Upper Yellowstone, will still be good terrestrial fishing but probably will have to wait until afternoon for the water to warm up. The Firehole is outstanding in September and worth a drive one day. So 3rd week of September is usually pretty good parkwide but if you get cold rainy weather the East side slows down. There are also some browns that run up the Gardner and start showing up in late September (that is mostly nymphing). Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
Brian,

Once again, a wealth of advice!

Through people's suggestions, I not only changed the location of 'base camp' but also changed the dates of my trip.

Instead of staying near the western entrance, I've managed to secure lodging on the northeast side of the park, near Cooke City. I am going to spend one day on the western side, but closer to Idaho City and perhaps hit up one of the famed rivers near there.

Also, the trip is now slated for the week of September 22nd, instead of August.

I'm researching again how these bodies of water fish during late September, but am excited at the possibilities.
smoothie likes this.