The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 10:34 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SILVERTHORNE/Breckinridge/Vail/Copper mtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse304 View Post
I own a house in Blue Valley Acres, north of Silverthorne. I currently have tenants in it, but they are planning on leaving soon. They are on a month to month right now.

Rental of the house includes access to the private stretch of the Blue below Green Mountain Res. Then, you've also got the Colorado 10 mins away, muddy creek, Williams fork, probably 20 mins away...

The Gore, Eagle, and Blue in Silverthorne are about 30 - 40 mins away...

You've picked a good spot...I wouldn't worry about a membership. That's for front rangers with limited access to water...living in summit/eagle/grand county will put you on miles of water that you will never have to pay for except your fishing license...
That sounds very appealing! Are you searching for tenants? Could you PM lease details if so.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Basically, those places are all the same place. Dillon is Silverthorne on the other side of the highway, Frisco is close to 70 but right up the road is Breck. They are not far enough away form each other to be their own spot...anywhere you pick will be close to all the same fishing.

UP there you will be closer to Denver and closer to a lot more people.

What kind of range are you talking about?
What do you mean by range ?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Is this spot it or are you looking at other spots in the state? I can drive from south Breck to North Silverthorne in an easy less than 30 minute drive. But maybe Durango is more what you seek? Its 5 hours away.

It's a great big state with tons of excellent fishing.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:28 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Living up there, bring lots of money. Miles and miles of public water to fish, some crowded. Hike a bit to get away from people, the longer the hike, the fewer the people.

I'm a front ranger and RMAC member. Annual fees are low, daily rod fees vary. I joined to get away from crowds. Turns out the fishing is excellent so far. My advice: fish the public stuff your first year, at least.

CAB
Old 04-05-2014, 02:03 PM

As a recent college graduate. I would find it hard to justify paying a daily rod fee to fish for a day. I was looking over the RMAC website. Are these private areas not available for non RMAC members ? Could you please explain the benefits on joining the club ?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:26 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
As a recent college graduate. I would find it hard to justify paying a daily rod fee to fish for a day. I was looking over the RMAC website. Are these private areas not available for non RMAC members ? Could you please explain the benefits on joining the club ?
Correct, you pay your initiation fee, annual dues and then a daily rod fee. Not trying to be pompous but I am at a spot financially I could absorb it, but it is not worth it. There are so many miles of world class water that is public.

Reality is if you really want to fish some private water you could hire a guide once or twice a year (if you have the bucks) and they have access to private water. Plus with a guide on your hip your success rate should go up incrementally.
williamhj and jslo like this.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:07 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
There's really no need to pay for fishing here in CO, regardless of education level. We all need licenses, and many places such as state parks have fees to enter or park. Yes, the areas are only available to members, often there is a rod limit. That's the whole idea. When I pay my fee, I own that stretch of water. All of the places I've fished have been PRIME water and excellent fishing. Personally, I chose several small fishing trips over one big one to MT or AK. I often fish public water as well ( I'm not a total snob!). No, it's not for everyone, it's turned into a treat to myself every now and again.

HTH,
CAB
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 PM

I probably fish fives times a week. I'd rather join a club with single yearly fee with no daily rod fees.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:44 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I probably fish fives times a week. I'd rather join a club with single yearly fee with no daily rod fees.
If you have your heart set on accessing private managed water there are clubs available. I've fished some private water and it was fun but don't know if I'd want to return to the same yards / miles of river. I'd rather spend my cash on gas.

However I'll echo what has been said, there's no real need. Unless you fish only popular spots / close to parking areas you shouldn't have trouble finding room to fish. This is especially true if you fish during the week. Does pick up during the summer when more people take vacation but part of the fun for me is finding new spots / exploring / hiking further from the pull-offs to find water.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

You will not want the membership thing. Way to much public water for you to spend a dime on access. Save your money for flies and fuel. You cannot possibly fish this area in a lifetime.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:20 PM

dcmcmill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse304 View Post
I own a house in Blue Valley Acres, north of Silverthorne. I currently have tenants in it, but they are planning on leaving soon. They are on a month to month right now.

Rental of the house includes access to the private stretch of the Blue below Green Mountain Res. Then, you've also got the Colorado 10 mins away, muddy creek, Williams fork, probably 20 mins away...

The Gore, Eagle, and Blue in Silverthorne are about 30 - 40 mins away...

You've picked a good spot...I wouldn't worry about a membership. That's for front rangers with limited access to water...living in summit/eagle/grand county will put you on miles of water that you will never have to pay for except your fishing license...
I would be alllll over this if I were the OP. I live in golden and have fished the Blue, Williams fork, Colorado, Gore Canyon, and still haven't seen all the water. Plus you are only an hour away from the Eagle. I prefer the Eastern slope just because you can get to Denver easiest for travel and such and it welcomes more people to come visit because of the short drive. From Breck/Dillion/Silverthorne you have easy access to more than you could ever ask for.