The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 04:49 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SILVERTHORNE/Breckinridge/Vail/Copper mtn

Well after much deliberation, I've signed a lease in Silverthorne. Very excited to fish the Blue and surrounding rivers. Is there any recommended fly shops in the area? I think it would be benfecial to hire a guide for a day or two, when I get out there. Unless anyone of you guys/girls would want to show me around the area.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road

The blue river in silverthorne can be a lot of fun. Get there early to avoid crowds. Make sure to have some mysis patterns especially when the flows are up.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:51 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

I second the get there early part. I arrived on sat at 6:00 am and was the first on the river. Landed 4 in the first 15 minutes. With the flows so high, there are less spots to fish it so the crowds are even worse right now.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:17 PM

mtnfarmer is on a distinguished road

Check out The Colorado Angler for a slightly more low key fly shop. It is the closest fly shop to the upper tail water holes. The guys in there know there stuff. The other option on that side of the county is Cutt Throat, which is above a mile farther down the river. Big bright shiny shop also with some good advice if you get the right guy.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 PM

It's good to know there some fishing in town. I'd rather fish more secluded areas.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 AM

Moving to Silverthorne in 15 days. Making a 30 hour drive from Vermont. Going to buy my license ASAP. Is anyone around this area and wouldn't mind showing me the rivers and steams. I would be willing to pay as an Incentive.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:40 AM

newtofly is on a distinguished road

If you end up with a guide at Cutthroat anglers, ask for Jarred. Good people over there. He showed me all over the area and access points for multiple rivers. Tell him Charles from Texas recommended him. Have fun. We just spent a few days where you will be living and caught some great fish.

Hopefully one of the forum guys from that area can spare a half day for a new guy.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:19 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

FYI the flows are WAY up. Blue tailwater is raging, so be careful wading. ~1100cfs right now

Gore, Eagle, Colorado = all blown good. Even the Taylor is running hot from the dam.

Might be awhile with the streams but hike up to some alpine lakes, you might be surprised at what you can find.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:53 PM

Moving in on the 15th so hopefully it will be lower by then. Would a 4wt be adequate for the Blue river?
Old 05-31-2014, 05:29 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
Moving in on the 15th so hopefully it will be lower by then. Would a 4wt be adequate for the Blue river?
That is all I ever fish the blue with.

***commercial alert***

Last time I fished there I used my 10' 4wt Allen ICON and the 10' was so perfect for the area below Dillon through town. Dead drifting tiny size 20 blood midges and red disco midges, the 10' with a long 6x leader real helped a lot. I didn't land many but had many more takes.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson