The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 09:51 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SILVERTHORNE/Breckinridge/Vail/Copper mtn

I think I might need to get a 6wt for the area for some spots. Glad to know that this will be pefect for that spot. Anyone have suggestions for alpine lakes or rivers ? I would like to incorporate a nice hike with some fishing.

Ps . Anyone know if buffalo mountain has snow still? I read it's skiable till the end of June. Really hoping to do that as soon as I get there.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:58 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
I think I might need to get a 6wt for the area for some spots. Glad to know that this will be pefect for that spot. Anyone have suggestions for alpine lakes or rivers ? I would like to incorporate a nice hike with some fishing.

Ps . Anyone know if buffalo mountain has snow still? I read it's skiable till the end of June. Really hoping to do that as soon as I get there.
Just up the way of the Blue towards Kremmling is the Colorado and yes I take a 6wt there for streamers.

No idea on Buffalo in particular but the snowpack here is huge. The S Platte drainage is it 200% of its avg for this date
Old 06-02-2014, 12:20 AM

Lightbulb Re: SILVERTHORNE/Breckinridge/Vail/Copper mtn

I've never fished out west before. I currently don't own a set of waders. Does the water get really cold towards the end of summer ? I was thinking that it might be a good investment. Sorry for the stupid question ..
Old 06-02-2014, 07:14 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
I've never fished out west before. I currently don't own a set of waders. Does the water get really cold towards the end of summer ? I was thinking that it might be a good investment. Sorry for the stupid question ..
From July through Sep/Oct I exclusively wet wade, unless I am going somewhere with deeper water. Deep being relative like wast or chest deep.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

802- thats going to be a heck of a drive. Be safe and dont push it. Years ago I worked as a compliance officer for a major bank. Spending 1/2 of my year on the road......dont push it. Look for spots you can relax on the way....preferably with great trout fishing. Bottom line, not to sound like a parent..... But, be safe. It's a heck of a drive.

Yeah, you will need waders. Especially when the flow reaches "The Boys"...Thats my limit....LOL.

My journey will start in Tampa...to Gatlinburg TN...To Long Island- back to Tampa to help settle the family estate...THEN drive to Breckenridge! HOPEFULLY.....I should arrive the first week of July.

I am thinking about having the truck shipped and fly out from TN. Will cost a little bit more coin, but not much....But, always an option.

A good friend of mine just moved from the area....GREAT fisherman. He loved fishing the area.....so, we have some good Intel.

Your 4wt is ideal. In my opinion....the 4wt is the most versatile in my arsenal. With that said...like others stated.....is 6wt is a great choice for the surrounding area. Wind is not our friend! I usually grab my lightweight stuff first. It forces me to slow down, concentrate on the stream....and really break it down......I firmly believe that fishing the 0wt-2wt...has made me a much better fisherman.

I am going to jump on the mountain bike also. Going to look at an older Trek tomorrow. The next purchases will be a snowmobile....I love the cold and snow. To me, fishing a small quiet stream while snowing....priceless.

Stupid question?? Never....the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Good luck with the move, keep us informed....

Jim
Old 06-04-2014, 02:05 PM

I've read that the blue is a pretty clear river when water levels are normal. I've read some reports of fly shops using 2-3x to 6x like you mentioned. I'll plan to go with you recommendation. Is the 6x leader you use fluro?
Would you also recommend fluro tippet for the Blue?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:13 PM

Thing to remember when talking about the Blue, most everyone will reference the stretch right below Dillon that literally runs under I-70 through the outlet mall. It is so heavily pressured there anything over 6x is going to be a handicap even though there are pigs in there. 5X you might be able to get away with.

If you drive 3 miles upstream the pressure / crowds is 1000% less so 3x or 4x you could get away with if necessary
Old 06-04-2014, 05:21 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Always use Floro tippet out here. Some buddies tested, and yes, it makes a heckuva difference.

A good 4wt. will get you through. There are a lot of reasons teh 9'5wt. is the standard.............

CAB
Old 06-04-2014, 08:54 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post

Thing to remember when talking about the Blue, most everyone will reference the stretch right below Dillon that literally runs under I-70 through the outlet mall. It is so heavily pressured there anything over 6x is going to be a handicap even though there are pigs in there. 5X you might be able to get away with.

If you drive 3 miles upstream the pressure / crowds is 1000% less so 3x or 4x you could get away with if necessary
I think he means downstream. Three miles upstream of the dam is still Lake Dillon.

Chris
Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnskiguy View Post
I think he means downstream. Three miles upstream of the dam is still Lake Dillon.

Chris
Nice catch, yes three miles downstream, aka towards Pump house and the Colorado