The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 05:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bear Creek

Had a family hike along Bear Creek this morning, what a day Didn't get a chance to fish but it was good to see the creek as this was my first time there since the floods last year. A few things I noticed:

1. In many ways it is a different stream. I'd read it on various fishing reports and it is true. A lot of large structure is still there but many of the spots I once fished are now gone or significantly different. Saw some great new water while some of my favorite pools and riffles were hard to recognize. Stream bed has shifted in places and rock walls that created pools are washed out

2. For some reason they reduced parking, at least at one park I went to. This is a park that can get PACKED with hikers, families, people fishing, biking, etc. Seems crazy they'd reduce the spots. Granted, I rarely fish when it is that packed but still seems odd.

3. There are fish.

Can't wait to find some time to fish it.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:22 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bear Creek

Its always bittersweet when a mega flow radically changes a comfortable section of stream. A few years ago we had a monster runoff and flooding. Cottonwoods were rushing down Rock Creek. A stretch of river along my friends property, were I fished a lot, was completely changed. There was a nice little side channel that fished great during high water. It was blocked by a huge cottonwood and dammed shut by boulders that you'd need a tractor to move. Its amazing to imagine those things bouncing down being pushed by water!

My buddy was really depressed that his stretch was "ruined" as the other channel that now took the whole flow was straight and really fast. But once the water subsided to natural levels some really nice holes appeared. And of course the fish didn't leave, the just moved.

As devastating as floods are to property and human infrastructure those changes are normal, and vital to the natural health of ecosystems.

You'll enjoy relearning an old favorite fishing spot this summer.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:38 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Had a family hike along Bear Creek this morning, what a day Didn't get a chance to fish but it was good to see the creek as this was my first time there since the floods last year. A few things I noticed:

1. In many ways it is a different stream. I'd read it on various fishing reports and it is true. A lot of large structure is still there but many of the spots I once fished are now gone or significantly different. Saw some great new water while some of my favorite pools and riffles were hard to recognize. Stream bed has shifted in places and rock walls that created pools are washed out

2. For some reason they reduced parking, at least at one park I went to. This is a park that can get PACKED with hikers, families, people fishing, biking, etc. Seems crazy they'd reduce the spots. Granted, I rarely fish when it is that packed but still seems odd.

3. There are fish.

Can't wait to find some time to fish it.
Thanks for the report. Bear Creek was my local stream for 2 1/2 decades. We left last Oct 1 to find a new home, so didn't get to see the flooding aftermath. Please continue the reports.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

It was great to see the fish and spot new fishy looking water. There was a small hatch coming off and saw some rise to take the mayflies, very nice after a lot of nymphing I'll see if I have any pictures of Bear Creek that would make interesting before and after shots.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:52 PM

fiend540 is on a distinguished road

This is good to hear, I wanted to check it out this past year but didn't make it before the floods happened. Hopefully I can make it out there soon.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:43 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

I used to fish Bear Creek often when I lived in Golden. Its a great stream! One day while fishing in the park section of it I had a feeling I was being watched. I looked up to see this guy perched right above me. Its the only black crowned night heron I have ever seen.

Click the image to open in full size.

Saw this hawk with his dinner on another trip to Bear Creek. I saw a great horned owl on another trip but didn't get a pic. In addition to great fishing its also a good area for bird watching!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:14 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I hit Bear Creek today, first time Ive ever fished it. I caught 9 or 10 in a few hours on the water. My buddy caught 25+. I must admit I out did him on the tree count though. I was landing monster trees and tying knots all day.

He hammered them on a size 20 BH Hares Ear.

I was catching mine on a size 20 Hi VIs BWO dry or a tungsten rainbow warrior subsurface. I bought rainbow colored tungsten beads for my warriors and they work great.

I fell more deeply in love with my 389-4 Sage Circa today. That rod can lay a dry fly out so sweetly it is unreal.
williamhj and mridenour like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 PM

djergensen is on a distinguished road

Great to see that the river still fishes... pretty amazing how such a dramatic change can really not be that dramatic. We are blessed to live in a world that can handle all of this change... at least from natures perspective.

Glad you you guys still have good water!
williamhj likes this.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the report! I'm thinking about hitting it this Wednesday after the annual tune up.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:20 AM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I hit Bear Creek today, first time Ive ever fished it. I caught 9 or 10 in a few hours on the water. My buddy caught 25+. I must admit I out did him on the tree count though. I was landing monster trees and tying knots all day.

He hammered them on a size 20 BH Hares Ear.

I was catching mine on a size 20 Hi VIs BWO dry or a tungsten rainbow warrior subsurface. I bought rainbow colored tungsten beads for my warriors and they work great.

I fell more deeply in love with my 389-4 Sage Circa today. That rod can lay a dry fly out so sweetly it is unreal.
Sounds like you and me would make great fishing partners! I usually catch more trees than anyone of the stream.
comeonavs likes this.