The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 01:53 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellowstone Fishing Guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by grousesetters View Post
Thanks for the replies, I ended up booking with Park's.

We have some classes lined up to help with our skills. I got my son a private fly casting lesson and he's been practicing on his own in the yard. He's also doing his own online research, so he seems really excited.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeff
You're a good dad... Jeff, if your son is practicing regularly take him for another lesson sometime in early July and it will really make a big difference. Not only can the teacher tweak any bad habits that will immediately make a difference with accuracy and length of cast but he will also show him a couple more different casting techniques that he can accomplish before going on the trip.

Dave
Old 04-17-2014, 09:27 PM

bmcgeehan is on a distinguished road

Hi Jeff,

I live in Bozeman and our company also does a lot of guiding in Yellowstone Park. All of the shops and outfitters the others have mentioned are great operations. My advice would be to avoid West Yellowstone since most of the waters on the West side of the park are too warm in August. The best fishing will be on the East side out of Gardiner. The Yellowstone river, Slough Creek, Gardner, Soda Butte and Lamar should all be very good in early August. I would recommend a full day vs. a half day to give you many more options. Your guide won't have time to get you very far into the park if you are just doing a half day. Have fun!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 AM

grousesetters is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to follow-up on our trip. We had a great time and learned a lot from our guide at Park's Fly Shop. We didn't catch a lot of fish, but that was more due to our inexperience than anything. I actually requested that we be taken to a stream with a slightly more difficult experience level than beginner and I think it was the right choice. I've never gauged fishing or hunting experiences on number of fish caught or animals killed.

Here's a video I put together from our time with the guide;

We also spent a couple days along the Madison River, and we hooked into some awesome rainbows over there. I lost 2 right off the bat when they broke my line. Unfortunately my camera battery was dead when we were there.

Jeff
Flywgn, cpiercem, wjl and 5 others like this.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM

clay tonian is on a distinguished road

nice vid, thx. Parks' is great, really nice folks and they even have rental cabins. Love me some Gardiner...
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Just how cool is that! What a grand trip and experience. As I was watching the video I couldn't help by hope for a hook-up and then around minute 3:30, BINGO! Loved it.

I've had that experience as a father, grandfather, friend, and teacher. Seeing someone else have the same magical moment never fails to reward.

I wanted to "high five" someone, so Rooney, my pointer came over to see what had caused me to let out a cheer. She doesn't do tricks so settled for a pat on the head and "Good dog".

Glad you had a good trip. I sometimes forget about the Gardner. I shouldn't.

Thanks for posting.

Allen R.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by Flywgn; 08-15-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM

goodtimes2 will become famous soon enough

A bit late, but I would also recommend park's Fly Shop for that area of YNP. They have been around a long time, knows that area better than anyone else, and can provide you with a wide variety of fishing options
Old 08-27-2014, 11:47 AM

h2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura abouth2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura about

Under the high bridge - always good for a few fish! Wonderful video - so happy to see new people and a new generation having a great introduction to an activity we love. Glad that your trip was everything you hoped it would be!