The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 04:19 PM

grousesetters is on a distinguished road
Default Yellowstone Fishing Guides

Hi,

New to the forum, based on the recommendation of a friend. I couldn't find my answer in previous posts.

Planning a family vacation trip this summer during the 1st week of August to Yellowstone N.P.

I'd like to do a 1/2 day guided fishing trip with my 14 year old son in either the Gardiner or W. Yellowstone areas. We are both beginners when it comes to fly-fishng, but hoping to up those skills before the trip.

I'm seeing a variety of trips; float, evening caddis float and walk-in waded trips. Unfortunately time and family will keep us to just a 1/2 day trip,

Can anybody recommend guides or outfitters to try and book?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellowstone Fishing Guides

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to the forum.

Give 'Blue Ribbon Flies' a look, they specialize in the Yellowstone area. Craig Mathews has fished the area for many years and though I don't believe he does trips anymore, I'm sure he only hires first class knowledgeable Guides.
https://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/trips_and_guides/

Be sure and book your trip early, these guys get busy quickly once the season starts early. Be sure and keep us posted with a trip report with lots of pics.

Good luck.
mcnerney and kglissmeyer1 like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jeff: Welcome to the forum!

+1 for what John has recommended.

Larry
fyshstykr likes this.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 PM

Kyo is on a distinguished road

If you're going to target the north end of the park you might wish to look at Park's Fly Shop at Gardiner, MT. Won't have the store front appeal or reputation you'll find in West Yellowstone but they are good.

They've got some trips specially designed for beginners.
Head guide is Walter Wiese. If the link doesn't come through just
google Parks Fly Shop. -k-

Parks' Fly Shop Home: fly fishing yellowstone, yellowstone fishing guides, yellowstone fly shop
mcnerney and smoothie like this.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:30 PM

smoothie will become famous soon enough

If you want to fish YNP in August, I'd recommend fishing the North East section of the park. At this point you might need to make a few calls to find a shop that can guide you in the park.

Here's a few reputable shops that could take care of you:

Parks' Fly Shop Guide Service Intro Page: fly fishing yellowstone, yellowstone fishing guides, yellowstone float trips, yellowstone river guide trips, spring creek trips
https://troutfitters.com/GuideServices
Montana Fly Fishing Report , Blog, and Fishing Report - Madison & Missouri Rivers
Mountains, Rivers, & Trout: 2014 Guide Service
Trips and Guides

I'd try the top one on the list first. Parks Fly Shop is out of Gardiner, MT. Their shop is the closest shop to the North East section of YNP, and they do a great job!
mcnerney and lightline like this.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum.As you've already seen...many helpful members here...hope you'll post a little report with pics of your trip when you come back
Old 04-05-2014, 12:16 AM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Parks or Blue Ribbon would have been my first choices as well.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:51 AM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

Blue Ribbon Flies best shop in West Yellowstone. I won't go anywhere else.
Good luck Dylan
Old 04-05-2014, 10:34 AM

grousesetters is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies, I ended up booking with Park's.

We have some classes lined up to help with our skills. I got my son a private fly casting lesson and he's been practicing on his own in the yard. He's also doing his own online research, so he seems really excited.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeff
Flywgn and mcnerney like this.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jeff: Sounds like an awesome trip and you guys are headed in the right direction with the casting lesson and lots of practice in the yard. Best of luck and please do a trip report when you get back, we all love to hear about fishing adventures, especially somewhere special like YNP.

Larry