The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wyoming Spring Fishin'

Last week I got the chance to do some fishing with forum member qacwac who lives in Jackson, WY. On the first day we decided to do a float on the New Fork river, but unfortunately we got on the river at 1 pm and it was a 10 mile float so basically it ended up being a sight seeing trip as I had to keep the boat moving to be able to hit the takeout by 6 pm. The boat ramps still had plenty of snow but we were using my pontoon boat so dragging the boat across the snow was no problem, but when we got to the takeout we had a big surprise. Neither of us had a cell phone, and the plan was to call my wife and have here come and pick us up. So I had qacwac walk over to the Boulder convenience store while I broke the boat down and got everything ready to load in the car. Oh, I almost forgot, we didn't get skunked as we landed a Whitefish. Gotta love those whities when the fishing gets tough.
The next day we did a wade trip on the Green river and qacwac's GF tagged along as she likes photography. We started out early, stopped at the Daniel Junction convenience store for breakfast burritos and sandwiches and met up with qacwac's GF to head down to the river. It was probably the best weather I have experienced this spring, I think the temp went to 50 degrees with very little wind, ideal fishing and the fish didn't disappoint.
Here are some photos from the day's fishing, with qacwac netting one of my Rainbows:
Click the image to open in full size.

Here I'm holding qacwac's fly rod while he unhooks the Rainbow he landed:
qacwac getting ready to net another nice trout:
A nice Rainbow:
Lately, I have been getting alot of requests from first time posters asking where and how I'm fishing. Normally, I give that kind of information out freely to the members here on the forum, but not to first time posters, so pardon the photo editing to prevent those folks from figuring out where we are fishing.

qacwac with a nice Rainbow:

Larry

Old 03-30-2014, 07:26 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wyoming Spring Fishin'

Fantastic Larry! Thanks for sharing

Do you primarily nymph this time of year?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:41 PM

qacwac will become famous soon enough

It was a great trip, Larry. Looking forward to the next one.

Though it may not look like it, I did do more than just net Larry's fish (though I did a lot of that). At one point it was Larry would hook one, I'd net it and hand it over to Larry, by the time he got him released, I'd have hooked one and Larry would have to net mine. Back and forth. Not a bad problem to have.

Oh, and I'm Seth to everyone out there. Would love to meet up and fish with any other WY or ID guys.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Those guys make putting up with that Wyoming weather worth it!
fyshstykr and mcnerney like this.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by qacwac View Post
It was a great trip, Larry. Looking forward to the next one.

Though it may not look like it, I did do more than just net Larry's fish (though I did a lot of that). At one point it was Larry would hook one, I'd net it and hand it over to Larry, by the time he got him released, I'd have hooked one and Larry would have to net mine. Back and forth. Not a bad problem to have.

Oh, and I'm Seth to everyone out there. Would love to meet up and fish with any other WY or ID guys.
Seth: How true, you actually out fished me, but your GF took all the photos and didn't send me any of your fish. Looking forward to our next trip!

Larry

Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Larry.
It doesn't matter whether it's Rain Hail Snow or Sunshine nothing stops you from Fishing.
I usually stay home when the weather isn't half as Bad as you venture out in.
Again some nice Fish.
Cheers.
Brian
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Hi Larry.
It doesn't matter whether it's Rain Hail Snow or Sunshine nothing stops you from Fishing.
I usually stay home when the weather isn't half as Bad as you venture out in.
Again some nice Fish.
Cheers.
Brian
Brian: Thanks! Being retired, I can only tie so many flies during the winter before I get bored and get the itch to get out fishing, so I bundle up with everything I own and head out on the water. I've been out in some brutal cold, but it sure beats sitting home.

Larry
imxer and jloncar like this.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:50 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Nice fish.
S.W. Montana's been fishing well also of late.

It's snowing like crazy right now and has been most of the day. It must be dumping in the mountains.
It's supposed to stay relatively cool again all week. I don't think there's any question it's going to be a long runoff this year.
We would need a long, really warm and consistently dry period for that not to happen which would be a complete reversal of the weather trends for the last few months.
April's usually a wet month as well. There's a good chance for some real flooding when things do finally start to seriously melt.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:32 PM

qacwac will become famous soon enough

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for a long runoff season. I'm planning on targeting some lake trout in the park this year while the waters are high. Hopefully that will tide me over until the Winds, Yellowstone and the Teton Wilderness rivers become fishable.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 PM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

Wow looks like a great time, those last two bows are pigs! Not to be rude but can you take a picture of the whitey next time? Us Cali boys don't get to see enough of them. Thanks for the report Dylan