The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 7 Post By jadams3616
  • 3 Post By jloncar
  • 1 Post By jadams3616
  • 4 Post By 4peace1piece
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 2 Post By jadams3616
  • 1 Post By 4peace1piece

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 AM

jadams3616 will become famous soon enough
Default Cache La Poudre

I got a chance to get up to the Poudre River Saturday for the first time this year. This was my first time fishing the river since the floods last fall and the river seemed to be as healthy as ever. The water clarity was as good as i have ever seen which made for a great day of sight fishing to hungry fish. I didnt catch any monsters, but i cant remember a day on this river with better numbers. The weather was absolutely perfect, little to no wind and sunny with temps in the 60's. Most of the fish were caught on a #16 Hares Ear, but around lunch i started throwing streamers(Black Cone Head Wolly Bugger), and did just as good. I started fishing up around Pingree and just slowly worked my way down river stopping and fishing any of the deep pools along the way, they all had fish in them. Not sure what effect run off is going to have with all the unstable land around the river, but for now this thing is on fire.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cache La Poudre

Great report and pictures! Thanks for posting.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting, I talked myself out of trying to fish the poudre last weekend because I thought it would be more or less locked up anywhere higher than Seaman Res. and super crowded anywhere below.

Is the picture you posted of the river more or less the story the whole way up the canyon to the Pingree turnoff?
Old 03-31-2014, 02:27 PM

jloncar will become famous soon enough

I'll just piggy back on your post if you don't mind. I went up the Poudre on Saturday as well. But not nearly as high up as you went I stayed within a mile or 2 of the canyon start.

I too got to do mostly sight fishing as I had found some slow water with a nice pool that had 6 or so rainbows hanging out. Those fish sure did make me work for my catch. I threw everything under the sun at them. Stoneflies, wooly boogers, nymphs of all shapes and sizes. And then finally one of the little guys started coming up to the surface and I was in luck. Threw a #18 adams at them and got this guy. I'm just glad to see them starting to take to the surface more. Bring on spring!

mcnerney, cpiercem and cochise like this.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4peace1piece View Post
Thanks for posting, I talked myself out of trying to fish the poudre last weekend because I thought it would be more or less locked up anywhere higher than Seaman Res. and super crowded anywhere below.

Is the picture you posted of the river more or less the story the whole way up the canyon to the Pingree turnoff?
I got up there pretty early(around 8:30) Saturday morning, and pretty much had my pick of wherever i wanted to fish then. As I made my way back down river it got more and more crowded, especially below Seaman Res. As nice as the weather was I actually expected more people than what i saw though.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chad: Very nice report on the Poudre and some beautiful photos, thanks for sharing!

Larry

Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 AM

Same story on the Poudre a week after jadams original post. I drove about 20 miles up the canyon on Saturday stopping here and there to scope out the river post flood. I didn't get to the canyon mouth until noon, but I probably only saw 20-25 anglers to compete with and plenty of water to spread out on. I agree that the river appears to be very healthy. The water couldn't have been any clearer, but I was still able to land a few and miss a few, nothing bigger than 11-12 inches - all rainbows. The second pic below shows many trout I found in a pool halfway up the canyon. As jloncar stated, they were picky which was a little frustrating. I threw a para-adams, black wooly, an various BWO nymphs at those guys, but the only hookups I got were on a black copper-john and PT.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4peace1piece View Post
Same story on the Poudre a week after jadams original post. I drove about 20 miles up the canyon on Saturday stopping here and there to scope out the river post flood. I didn't get to the canyon mouth until noon, but I probably only saw 20-25 anglers to compete with and plenty of water to spread out on. I agree that the river appears to be very healthy. The water couldn't have been any clearer, but I was still able to land a few and miss a few, nothing bigger than 11-12 inches - all rainbows. The second pic below shows many trout I found in a pool halfway up the canyon. As jloncar stated, they were picky which was a little frustrating. I threw a para-adams, black wooly, an various BWO nymphs at those guys, but the only hookups I got were on a black copper-john and PT.

Awesome photos of the river and its residents!

Larry
jadams3616 likes this.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Nice report and pictures 4piece. I was up there on Saturday as well. it seemed like the fish were a little more picky versus last week, but I still had a pretty good day. I got there pretty early again and started fishing just below the hatchery. Only caught one brown there, but it seemed to get better as i moved down river. Black stonefly nymphs and a hares ear seemed to be the best.

These guys walked right through one of my favorite runs. They should take a fishing etiquette class.
mcnerney and cpiercem like this.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:56 PM

These guys walked right through one of my favorite runs. They should take a fishing etiquette class.

Those "young bucks" totally high-holed you. What a bunch of jerks. I hope you gave them a good yelling and fist shaking before leaving
mcnerney likes this.