The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By clibb
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 12:53 PM

clibb is on a distinguished road
Default Grey Reef update

Grey Reef is on fire right now!
Went there from Fort Collins on Wednesday. Had an amazing day of 72F with windgusts in the afternoon.
We caught about 20-30 fish by the dam using eggs (green, red, orange), worms (red and pink), and black and purple midges. I saw a TON of surface action, but they didn't want to take on a dry fly.
The river was pretty low in town and had a pretty standard flow in Freemont canyon, but we couldn't fish there due to the winds.

Overall 8/10.

I'll post pictures later.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grey Reef update

Sounds like a great outing, congrats! Looking forward to your photos.

Larry
shortyb likes this.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:06 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

How long a drive is it from Ft. Collins?

CAB
Old 04-12-2014, 09:19 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
How long a drive is it from Ft. Collins?

CAB
3 1/2 - 4 hours to Casper from Longmont. I am floating grey reef 4/30 so been map questing it every 5 minutes I am so pumped

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to see what the flows come up to this year. A few years back (one of the good water years) I floated with Jonathan Jordan and his son from Grey Reef to Lusby, as I recall the flows were around 5,000 CFS. The next day they did a float with one of the guides at the North Platte Lodge, they put in at the dam and floated to Secrest in one day, I think that is around 23 miles. I talked to the guide at the take out and he said he rowed through the dead zones to be able to float that far. I've floated 26 miles in one day on the South Fork of the Snake (through the canyon), but that was in the spring with the flow around 14,000 CFS, not sure if I would try making Secrest in one day unless we got on the river really early.

Larry