The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 PM

mtnfarmer is on a distinguished road
Default This weekend: Below flaming vs above?

Hi there, My name is Ryan, and I have a problem.... I fish too much..... thats the first step in the process right?

In any case, my girl and and have an unexpected three day weekend Sat through Monday, so I spent today putting the raft together, now I just am wondering were to head. We have fished A B and C a number of times, but never below Fontenelle.

Anyone know what the visibility is in either river right now? Is Red Creek dirtying up the lower B section?

Any major differences in what to be throwing right now? I know what to expect below flaming gorge, is it going to be similar above green river? I would expect lower numbers up there, but always like getting off the radar a little more.

Any shuttle options above green river? Think there will be enough traffic to hitch, or should I drag the dualsport along for shuttle?

Thanks much
Old 04-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This weekend: Below flaming vs above?

Ryan: If you want you can join us for a float on the Green below Fontenelle on Sat, the plan is to meet at the Slate Creek campground (boat ramp) at 8 am, then figure out the shuttle and then float down to the refuge. Dan (parsond) and his friend will be in one boat and John (Fysh) and his wife Pam and I will be in the other boat. We will have two boats and three vehicles so we can do the shuttle. There isn't a shuttle service in the area, so some folks will bring a mtn bike or try to hitch a ride, which is pretty easy especially on the weekends. The fish density isn't nearly as high as it is below Flaming Gorge, but on average the fish seem to be a little larger, also the camping in the Fontenelle area is free and most of the land around the river is BLM so that gives lots of options to the wading angler. If I recall correctly the fish density below Fontenelle is around 900 fish/mile.

Following the float on Sat I'm headed down below Flaming Gorge to float the A section with Seth (qacwac) and his GF for a few days, so your welcome to join us down there as well. Seth was thinking he wanted to also float the B section, but I'm a little leary about that as I have only floated through Red Creek rapids when the flow was higher, I think 1,500 CFS and I have no idea what it is like at the current 800 CFS, maybe you could clue me in on that.

Oh, I almost forgot, welcome to the forum!

Larry

Old 04-17-2014, 09:23 PM

mtnfarmer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the beta.

We have always been in rubber boats when floating Red Creek, and have done it a number of times this low. I have seen hard boats do it, with a line down either side, although I tend to edge towards the deeper right side, which does need a little bit of maneuvering, as opposed to the left shallow run which is pretty straight forward if my memory serves me.

Are you guys thinking smallish stuff under indicators for fontenelle area or is there something different I should be getting my head around for that area? Still haven't made up our minds, and honestly might not until we get on the road tomorrow night.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ryan: I sent you a pm with some details on what to fish and my cell in case you need a shuttle, we should be able to help out.

Thanks for the info on Red Creek rapids. I have only gone down the left side, so I will wait for the flows to come up before doing that. It is pretty rocky and I was afraid it might be a tough go at 800 CFS. The right side with those big standing waves kind of scare me so I will pass on trying that route. Looks like we will stick to the A section on this trip.

Larry