The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 06:06 AM

newtofly is on a distinguished road
Default Pan and Blue, need advice

Going to get to spend a little time on the water in mid May while my wife and I enjoy Colorado during our 9th anniversary. I am looking at getting a guide for a half day at one of these locations(Frying Pan or Blue)

So what river would you pick if you were going to get a guide for a half day? What guide service would you recommend for that particular river? I will be fishing both rivers. Just can't afford a guide for both.

Also, would you tell me where to start fishing at each of these locations to avoid the crowds and any recommendations for flies to use would be great.

I know, lots of questions. Sorry about that. Appreciate the help!

Last edited by newtofly; 04-18-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:59 PM

djergensen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pan and Blue, need advice

Are you looking to avoid crowds, catch fish, or catch big fish... Good questions to answer on those rivers.

Not much help for guides... although if I were going to the Pan, I would always go with the crew at Frying Pan Anglers. They are great guys. When I lived by there, I would stop in all the time to chat. The owner is great guy. And they have a little cabin you can stay at that is awesome... on the Pan and it costs 65 a night... Ask them about it, its killer.
mcnerney and newtofly like this.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:08 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago my family and I used the Colorado Angler in Dillon for a full day on the Ark. They did a nice job. Were good instructors for those of us with some experience and helped those who had never fished get into some trout.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:24 AM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough

If you choose the blue go with Colorado angler,andrew is the owner and is great,but the fryingpan is a totally different experience.Taylor creek fly shop for guiding the fryingpan. Remember the pan is wade fishing only.The fishing is like night and day,The fryingpan is the jewel or as they say the "the cream of the crop".As for flies,on the flats to baetis bend,mysis shrimp.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:56 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

my best friend is a full time guide on the pan...has been for over 20 years. if you want a half day lightning round trip with him his name is Craig, he guides out of Taylor Creek Fly shop and he is a cool cat, you will catch fish and learn a ton about the area and where you and the gal can fish. pm if you want his #.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 AM

Thanks everyone. I tend to try and stay away from the crowds, but if a guide said, "come on, were going to catch a hog this morning" then I would probably say OK lets get it. I tend to prefer locations that hold lots of fish and are a little off the beaten path. Sometimes weather makes that impossible, but normally my preference.

I am going to call a guide on the Pan this evening. Visit with him and see how that goes. Hopefully I can work something out.

As far as the Blue, I will just hit the fly shop in Silverthorne and then start off with where ever and whatever they recommend. I have fished the Taylor multiple times so I don't think I will be completely lost when I find out a little more info. Any info you could give me on the Blue would be great.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:07 AM

mtnfarmer is on a distinguished road

All the advice here is spot on, the pan is by far a better place to be, unless the girly wants to shop right next to you fishing. More room, better scenery, warmer weather this time of year. And once again previous posts are spot on, The Colorado Angler is the shop to swing into while on the Blue. Andrew is a great guide/owner and everyone in the shop carries them selves well, whether dealing with seasoned fly anglers, or tourists coming in looking for some worms to catch them big fish they see in the river
Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the info mtnfarmer.
My plan is to fish in the mornings and then she and I will have lunch together and do a little shopping and running around. Then I will head back out and fish a few more hours in the afternoon then come back to the cabin, clean up, and head out for dinner. This is what we have done in the past and what we both have planned to do. This will make me pretty flexible for a guide since I can fish the morning or evening bite. Whatever the guide suggests will work for me. I have a call in to a guide on the Pan. I will wait to see if he calls me back today. Thanks everyone for the advice. Looking forward to this trip as I have wanted to fish the Pan for the last few years and I am excited about the Blue.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

When are you going to the blue? I will be there on sat
Old 04-23-2014, 12:40 PM

Slicedog,
It will be a couple more weeks. Please let me know how you did and if you use a guide let me know what you thought of their services.