The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 03:48 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Green River Fishing Plans go Awry!

Thanks for the great report!

B.E.F.
mcnerney likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

You know Larry, you should really consider getting a two hander (perhaps you already have..).

I've been eyeing that section of the Green for quite some time but have just never committed to the trip. It's about 6 hours from here.

If I ever do make it down there I plan on fishing the two hander a lot. All the pictures of the water and fish that I have seen just beg for it.
Those runs look perfect and you could cover a great deal more water with a streamer on a two handed rod than with a single hander.
Plus, they are just fun to cast and there is a definite learning curve to keep you occupied even when you're not catching anything.

If I ever do make the trip I'll let you know maybe we can meet up. Does that section see a significant runoff by letting a lot of water through the dam?
Does it stay clear enough even when they do run a lot of water through it?

I'm thinking it might be an option for when runoff blows everything out up here.
fyshstykr, mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbugger View Post
You know Larry, you should really consider getting a two hander (perhaps you already have..).

I've been eyeing that section of the Green for quite some time but have just never committed to the trip. It's about 6 hours from here.

If I ever do make it down there I plan on fishing the two hander a lot. All the pictures of the water and fish that I have seen just beg for it.
Those runs look perfect and you could cover a great deal more water with a streamer on a two handed rod than with a single hander.
Plus, they are just fun to cast and there is a definite learning curve to keep you occupied even when you're not catching anything.

If I ever do make the trip I'll let you know maybe we can meet up. Does that section see a significant runoff by letting a lot of water through the dam?
Does it stay clear enough even when they do run a lot of water through it?

I'm thinking it might be an option for when runoff blows everything out up here.
I believe a two hander would really help on that water, I have been thinking about it, just haven't pulled the trigger.

The reservoir is really low right now and all the water running in from the north is super muddy, when I drove home yesterday I noted that over half of the water in the reservoir is muddy and then there is significant line where the clear water is up closer to the dam. I fished on Sat and then again on Mon and I could definitely see a difference in the clarity of the river below the dam and fear it is only going to get worse due to the low levels in the reservoir. We aren't even in run off yet, all this mud is coming from the snow melt from the last two storms from about a week ago, the mountains haven't started letting go yet.

Larry
mridenour likes this.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:51 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Larry.
As usual Some Great Photos as well as Beaut Scenery.
Over here I use 6Wt Rods for Lake Fishing & I don't have any problems with The Big Fish that's when I hook them.

Maybe a 6 or 7wt in a 9'6" would be best to keep those Monsters in Check as all The New Rods even though the Top Brands are still expensive they are lighter & would have The Backbone to easily handle those Fish.
The reason I like The 9'6" Rods is I find it a little easier to Net Fish with them than my 10ft Rods.
Also I've been thinking for some time of buying A new Sage One in a 9'6" however I've had good reports of The New Redingtons & I am still waiting to Cast one.
Also around Christmas we have The same scenes especially at night around all the outside lights with Brown Beetles which The Fish go crazy on as you showed with The Midges then a little later we have a similar thing with Bogong Moths.
Brian
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Great report Larry. Those are some nice pictures
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Also around Christmas we have The same scenes especially at night around all the outside lights with Brown Beetles which The Fish go crazy on as you showed with The Midges then a little later we have a similar thing with Bogong Moths.
Brian
Brian: Do you happen to have a photo of a Bogong Moth? I'd be interested in seeing what that looks like.

Larry
mridenour likes this.