The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spring Fishing in Wyoming

The weather forecast was for a high of 66 degrees and light winds, so I just had to get out of the house and go fishing. I decided to head down to the Green and hit up a new spot that looked promising, after an hour of throwing streamers and nymph fishing and not a single bite, I decided to move on to the spot I discovered on Saturday. On Saturday this spot was just incredible, I couldn't hardly ask for a better piece of water, but how a couple days things change, now the water is off color and after an hour and no bites and a bit discouraged I decide to move on. I then decided to hit up one of my old standby spots and that proved to be the turning point. I started throwing streamers and then later in the afternoon switched to nymphing. The puzzling thing was that there was an incredible bwo hatch coming off and not a head coming up anywhere. At one point I had four bwo's on the bill of my cap, one on my sun glasses and one trying to crawl in my ear. The only thing I could think of preventing the fish from looking up was the off color water.
Here are a few photos from yesterday's fishing:
Click the image to open in full size.

Same fish different view:

A shot of the river:

And another:

jpbfly, newtofly, cpiercem and 7 others like this.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spring Fishing in Wyoming

Good grief Larry,

Those are some beauties. Send some luck my way, floating grey reef next Wednesday and could use some of your magic touch.

Thanks for posting, I keep trying to convince my better half we need to pull the trailer up to your neck of the woods for a few days. This is just more ammo in my debate arsenal.
mcnerney likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Nice Green water...All brown around me now.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Larry....I wish I could make my customers catch such beautiful fish....
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:53 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Killer!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:01 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

Larry, you take some awesome pictures! If I can't be fishing, myself, might as well look and read your posts.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 PM
mridenour

Those are ridiculously awesome fish!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:32 PM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road

Nice Larry!

I am jealous!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Good grief Larry,

Those are some beauties. Send some luck my way, floating grey reef next Wednesday and could use some of your magic touch.

Thanks for posting, I keep trying to convince my better half we need to pull the trailer up to your neck of the woods for a few days. This is just more ammo in my debate arsenal.
Thanks! Best of luck over on the Reef next week, the fishing over there should be in high gear. I might be there also, my wife has some continuing ed class in Casper next week to maintain her nursing license and I might go if we can find a dog sitter. One of the nice features about the Green river is the "FREE" camping, and there are three different campgrounds to spread out and virtually all of the land is public land with a few exceptions which really makes for some pretty nice wading options. The only drawback right now is that the water is getting off color and after I drove by the reservoir yesterday and saw that over half of the north end is mud, it is only going to get worse. The reservoir is pretty low right now and all that mud flowing in from the river and the creeks to the north are going to make things worse, at least until run off finishes and we really aren't even into run off yet. What we are seeing now is just the snow melt from the last couple of spring storms.

Larry

Old 04-23-2014, 08:43 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Larry another good report,i have got to get out somewhere and fish.
mcnerney likes this.