The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flaming Gorge in the Spring

I got a chance to fish the Green River below Flaming Gorge, UT this past weekend with my friend Pete from Laramie. The forecast wasn't good, but Pete had made a reservation to do a guided float on Sunday and Pete's schedule wouldn't allow us to reschedule so we went for it. The wind was forecast to be 25-35 mph with higher gusts the whole weekend and the temps weren't much above freezing. I got there on Sat around 10 am and after purchasing a UT fishing license and grabbing a sandwich to go from Trout Creek Flies I headed down to the takeout for the A Section called "Little Hole". My Senior Pass came in handy, as the Forrest Service charges for day parking at Little Hole, so that was a nice little benny for being an old fart. After donning my waders I headed up river, boy was I in for a surprise, I couldn't believe all the people wade fishing, so I kept hiking up river to try and separate from the crowds. Finally after about 1 1/2 miles the wade fisherman started to thin out and I could start looking for spots that looked promising. I started off nymphing using a scud and sjw and landed a couple Rainbows. After each fish I would move a little further up river, trying to find something that looked fishy and at the same time a spot that would offer some relief from that wind. I had two long sleeve shirts on, two light weight coats and my wading jacket and I was barely staying warm, except when hiking. I ended up landing another four Brown trout before I had to call it a day, and go find Pete. As it turned out he had hiked up the trail looking for me but turned back at the 1 mile point.
Here is what the sky looked like on the drive down from Green River to Dutch John:
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a photo of Little Hole, there is a walking path on the east side of the river that extends from the Dam all the way to Little Hole, approx 8 miles, so there is plenty of room to spread out if your willing to do a little walking.

Here is a shot of a bwo hatch and all the bugs on the water. Unfortunately for me I only packed in one fly rod (I won't make that mistake again). As soon as I spotted the bwo's hatching I switched from a nymphing rig to a dry fly rig, but by the time I had everything ready the heads stopped coming up, so I switched back to nymphing but changed up my patterns to small baetis nymphs and that is when I started connecting with the Browns.

A nice Rainbow:

And another:

Here is one of the Browns I landed:

And another:

Head shot from the same fish:

Here we are on Sunday morning getting ready to launch at the dam. We had hired a guide named James Boehm from Old Moe Guide Service. Over the years, Pete and I have probably done six or more float trips with James, he is a phenomenal fly fishing guide. In years past he used a Clackacraft drift boat but then got a chance to pick up a Boulder Boat Works boat at a steal and couldn't pass on it. That is Pete standing there with his back to the camera, wearing all his cold wx gear.

That's me with a nice Green River CutBow:

Here is a very nice Brown Trout:

Pete with a nice Brown Trout:

Pete with another nice Brown:

Lunch stop, Pete shedding some of his cold wx gear. I never did warm up enough to consider taking anything off. With that heavy wind pounding us, it didn't take James long to start shedding his gear as he was working his @ss off trying to keep the boat into position to get a good drift through the current seems. At times he would just have to yield to the wind and have us pull our rigs up until he could re-position the boat. Pete and I had been talking earlier wondering whether or not James would do a hot or cold lunch. James had worked for Trout Creek Flies for years and they always prepared a hot lunch, but for the last couple of years he has worked for Old Moe, so it was a pleasant surprise to see the small BBQ rig tucked in behind the rear seat. On a cold day you can't beat a hot lunch!

Here is a shot looking up river from the lunch stop, from the photo it looks like a warm summer day! If you have never fished the Green river below Flaming Gorge, put it on your "A-list", this photo is just a sample of what you will see either floating or hiking up the canyon.

Pete with another very nice Brown trout. In the background you get a glimpse of the big burn they experienced back in 1992 that almost wiped up the little community of Dutch John, except for the heroics of a bunch of firefighters:

Here is another nice Rainbow:

We lost count of the fish we were landing on Sat, but we had doubles on at four different times and I don't recall ever fishing there and catching that many Brown trout in the A section, so that was a pleasant surprise. We had planned to wade fish again on Monday morning but the temps had fallen another 10 degrees and wouldn't reach 32 degrees until 2 pm and the wind was still forecast at 25-35 with higher gusts, so Pete and I decided to bag the fishing and go get a good hot breakfast before hitting the road and heading our separate ways. I was great getting to fish with James, we hadn't had a chance to fish with him in probably three years. All in all a great trip, but I definitely want to go back when it warms up.

Larry

Old 04-28-2014, 07:26 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flaming Gorge in the Spring

Wow, what a weekend. Nice shots of scenery and fish.

I will be floating grey reef Wednesday, hopefully I can post some photos of fish like yours.
mcnerney likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I'm so jelous right now..... great report Larry! The old Moe guys rock, I think a few of my friends were on the water with ya. My trip to the Green was so so, I need a revenge trip!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 PM

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Having been there a month ago and fighting a very similar wind, I feel your pain, especially your Guide's. A drift boat in high winds is a lot of work to control.

A great report, and some awesome pics!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Having been there a month ago and fighting a very similar wind, I feel your pain, especially your Guide's. A drift boat in high winds is a lot of work to control.

A great report, and some awesome pics!
John: Thanks! I agree, but I doubt that most folks that hire guided float trips realize just how much work it is to row a drift boat in that kind of wind. I'm still trying to thaw out.

Larry

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I will be floating grey reef Wednesday, hopefully I can post some photos of fish like yours.
Looking forward to your trip report, I have heard the Reef is fishing really well right now, I just hope you get warmer wx then we had this weekend.

Larry

Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 PM

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Very true Larry.
When we were there I watched a Guide going through "Can O Worms" when a crazy wind from every direction hit, he and his clients could do nothing but hold on while they did a complete 360 down through the rapid.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Very true Larry.
When we were there I watched a Guide going through "Can O Worms" when a crazy wind from every direction hit, he and his clients could do nothing but hold on while they did a complete 360 down through the rapid.
Yikes, that is no place to be fooling around doing 360's but can certainly understand how it can happen.

Larry

Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 PM

flyfishmich is a jewel in the roughflyfishmich is a jewel in the roughflyfishmich is a jewel in the roughflyfishmich is a jewel in the rough

great report, photos, fish and trip
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:09 AM

pho_phizzat will become famous soon enough

Awesome work Larry.

Thanks for the report. Looks like it was a good time!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 PM

smoothie is a jewel in the roughsmoothie is a jewel in the roughsmoothie is a jewel in the roughsmoothie is a jewel in the rough

Great report, Larry!

The "A" section on the Green is a very special place to go fishing. Love the red canyon walls and the crystal clear water.

Too bad about the weather, but sounds like you just made the most of it and had a good time anyway!
mcnerney likes this.