The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By cgrphoto
  • 1 Post By goblueco1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 03:45 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Williams Fork Tailwater is Decent (as long as flows don't skyrocket)

If you live in Colorado, and you're looking for some tailwater action other than the usual suspects, the Williams Fork tailwater is running higher than normal, but is very fishable right now.

I was there yesterday (for a discharge of 640cfs) for a few hours and was delighted at my fortune of landing 4 great looking brown trout. They were taken on a mixture of golden stones and tan SJ worms. The key was to get the rig down quickly above the run and let if drift into the plunge pool, where the fish are actively feeding during the high water. Additionally, you must dredge your rig, so the use of larger splits is necessary.

If the flows maintain, or even drop (unlikely for awhile), the Williams Fork is a good option if you are in the Grand County area. The other benefit is the hike into the river from the Kemp or Breeze units (off of highway 40 near Parshall) keeps the crowds to a minimum.

Some photos from yesterday:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Williams Fork Tailwater is Decent (as long as flows don't skyrocket)

Very nice trip report and photos, thanks for sharing!

Old 06-02-2014, 05:26 PM

j4son is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Williams Fork Tailwater is Decent (as long as flows don't skyrocket)

Thanks for the report! I just moved to the Denver area about a month ago and I'm looking for new spots to go. Unfortunately I just got into the sport upon moving here and now it looks like the only close place I knew of (south boulder creek) is flowing too fast. I have no idea where to go now that isn't 2 hours away.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:09 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4son View Post
Thanks for the report! I just moved to the Denver area about a month ago and I'm looking for new spots to go. Unfortunately I just got into the sport upon moving here and now it looks like the only close place I knew of (south boulder creek) is flowing too fast. I have no idea where to go now that isn't 2 hours away.
Unfortunately, this is the second biggest runoff year we've seen in our 22 years in Colorado. Most years rivers are high but clear by now.

The South Platte in Cheesman Canyon is pumping pretty good but should be fishable. Call the Blue Quill Angler in Evergreen for an honest fishing report.

Chris
Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough

Don't overlook Williams Fork Lake either. One of my favorite day trips this time of the year is packing up and fishing Williams Fork in the morning. About mid-day pack up and drive to the lack, grill lunch and then toss huge obnoxious streamers into the inlet side of the lake for HUGE Lake Trout and Northern Pike.

I was just out there for an HPD club trip about 3 weeks ago and crushed it in the morning on a pearl midge, juju-baetis (purple) and a tan san juan with a red dot then headed to the lake and landed about 5 Lakers in the 18-22" range along with a 30" norther pike. Talk about one hell of a mixed bag day!
dharkin likes this.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 PM

bellsporter is on a distinguished road

I've never seen it that high
Old 06-03-2014, 01:50 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

Just checked gages... probably not fishable now... (960cfs)

WILFORCO
Old 06-03-2014, 11:53 PM

waycool has a spectacular aura aboutwaycool has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for sharing..... Great photos! planning a week or more in CO thinking week after the 4th of July ...Any ideas are appreciated....

Can scroll down and find my ask ��
Old 06-04-2014, 08:08 AM

h2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura abouth2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura about

I used to enjoy fishing the WF Res years ago. Part of the excitement was bringing in a trout (and if I remember right, there were salmon too) and having a pike hit your catch as you got it within 5 feet of you! That was a favorite place to go for Northerns on big ugly flies!