The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By goodtimes2
  • 2 Post By goodtimes2
  • 1 Post By kyle brehm
  • 1 Post By goodtimes2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 12:33 PM

goodtimes2 will become famous soon enough
Default Beartooth Highway

I am planning to be in Yellowstone ( Roosevelt cabins) the last 2 weeks of July, I have fished the upper half of Yellowstone for the last 5 years , mostly in September . During this trip I will be picking up a friend at Billings airport and plan to drive the Beartooth Highway and was hoping to check out a few fishing spots along the way. Would appreciate any lakes or pull out spots along the Clark Fork river that I could wet a fly. I have the entire day as the flight will not be arriving until late on July 22.

Last year I had a brief chance to drive a portion of this highway and was just amazed by its beauty as well as seeing a lot of mountain goats near the peek. I didn't have a chance to fish it , but looking forward to seeing more of this area this year.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:44 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Beartooth Highway

Last summer we drove from Cody and fished Lily Lake. Had a ton of dry fly action catching small fish. There are grayling in there as well but we didn't catch any. It is a beautiful lake and there are others nearby.

We fished Clark's at some of the pull-offs but didn't catch anything with size.

Enjoy your trip. There is a lot of great fishing around Cody. PM me if you want to know more.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, the Beartooth Hwy is an awesome sight. I can't help with the fishing, but if Shortyb doesn't see this thread send him a pm, he should be able to give you some ideas where to fish, he lives in Red Lodge, MT.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I will check with shortyb if I do not hear from him in the near future. It is always fun exploring new waters with great views
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a post on the Beartooths that Shortyb did you might want to read:
Beartooth mts day hike

Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Here is a post on the Beartooths that Shortyb did you might want to read:
Beartooth mts day hike

That was a fun post to read. After reading that post, I feel like a kid before Christmas day, less than 2 months and counting.
mcnerney and smoothie like this.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:59 PM

kyle  brehm is on a distinguished road

You could spend a week in the Beartooths. Most lakes require a day hike in.
We usually just do Rock Creek and hike in a couple miles. Fish sizes small but very fun.

The first lake Shortyb showed was Greenough Lake at the base of the Hyway and it's perfect for kids. After you leave the Greenough - Lake Fork area and head up the hill, the next opportunities will require a Wyoming fishing license. You can buy one at the hardware store in Red Lodge or at the Top of the World Store near Beartooth Lake.

There's a couple of Lakes around the summit but when you see them down below the thought of hiking back up at 10,000 is a sobering thought.
The easy lakes to tackle are right along the highway as you come off the hill on the Wyoming side. It's Long Lake, right along the highway and Little Bear Lake. Towards the south you'll see Chain Lakes a pair of good size water usually shallow that also holds fish. There's a couple other lakes we hope to try soon only a couple mile hikes off the highway.

Got your 3wt, Little Bear Creek along the highway near the store holds lots of cooperative brookies.

Take the campground entry to Island Lake and when you crest the hill you'll see parking at the boat launch. Pretty nice lake you don't see from the road
and it's worth driving the 1/4 mile in for the view. The last one is Beartooth Lake. Nice picnic area at the boat ramp. Both Beartooth and Island Lake are very deep. Fish sizes also very good. We've had best early in the day or late evening working the edge of the deeper water.

I've also fished the first two pull offs on the Chief Joseph Hyw on the Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone down from the Beartooth Hyway Jct. Always do very well on 10-12" rainbows and occasional Cutthroats. There's a couple hikes near Crandall where the river goes into the canyon. The fly shops in Cody report larger cutties can be had but it's also very serious bear country. Have yet to try.

Since you have a little time you might want to buy a copy of Fishing the Beartooths by Pat Marcuson. It's the bible for this area.

Have fun and we'll expect a full report
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:14 AM

Thanks for all the detail info, I will report back after my trip.
mcnerney likes this.