The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By cgrphoto
  • 1 Post By shortyb
  • 1 Post By dean_mt
  • 1 Post By nickj
  • 1 Post By cotter
  • 1 Post By dryfly307
  • 3 Post By jslo
  • 1 Post By cgrphoto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Trout Identification - from Bear Creek, Colorado

Hi All;

Recently I caught this small 7" what I assumed to be a greenish-tinted rainbow from Bear Creek near Idledale.

Click the image to open in full size.

After looking closely at the coloring and the markings, I'm beginning to wonder if it is a hybridized greenback / cutt / rainbow or even a brookie.

Any ideas? (It's probably a vivid rainbow)

Thanks!
C
jslo likes this.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Trout Identification - from Bear Creek, Colorado

Just a pretty rainbow.
jslo likes this.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:51 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what a greenback cutthroat looks like but if they inhabit the same stream with rainbows then they cross breed. It looks awfully orange for a rainbow, the fins and back, but maybe that's the picture. A cutthroat hybrid will show the orange slashes under the gill plate even if it shows no other traits. Lots of cutt-bows when I fish.

Brookies are actually char, not trout, and the distinctive marking is light marks on dark bodies, no black spots. Plus they spawn in the fall with brown trout, rainbows and cutts in the spring.

jslo likes this.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:54 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Not a brook trout. They have the distinctive white leading edges on the fins. Not a brown. Without seeing the cutt slashes, I'd say pretty rainbow. Cuttbows have been stocked in Bear Creek. I've caught more than a few, but they've all been silvery, not brightly colored like your picture.
jslo likes this.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:27 PM

cotter will become famous soon enoughcotter will become famous soon enough

Cutbows haven't been stocked since 2008, so there's no way it's a stocked cutbow. I'm not sure if wild cutts exist in Bear Creek, but if they do it would be in the headwaters. If that's where you were fishing, it could be a wild cutbow. You'd have the check under the jaw to look for the telltale sign, an orange slash. I'm pretty sure it's a wild rainbow though. That's a good sign because Bear Creek was hit hard by whirling disease.
jslo likes this.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:23 PM

dryfly307 is on a distinguished road

I would say just a pure rainbow because it appears that he has faint white tips on his pelvic and anal fins. If a rainbow hybridizes, I believe they usually lose the white tips on those fins.
jslo likes this.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

It's actually pretty hard to say from that camera angle. As others have said, the telltale slashes under the jaw- perhaps its a cutt, perhaps a youngish 'bow (which I find tend to be sometimes super colorful) aren't visible from the top. I'm attaching some greenback pics from RMNP for reference...

cgrphoto, dryfly307 and cotter like this.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

Yeah that is quite a difference... Sometimes its tough to make a keen judgment on cutbows though... Thanks for the pics.
jslo likes this.