The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default One of THOSE days!

I just wanted to share this with you so badly, because I am certain that most of us feel the same way after a disastrous day on the water.

Today I took the day off and headed to the Blue River again, but this time I went downstream, close to Green Mtn Res. The flows were running 630 out of Dillon, so I was expecting some decent fishing.

Well, turns out I was literally a walking disaster. Fell on my arse going down an embankment, and bruised up my left hand pretty good in the process. When I got to the water my first drift got snagged on a underwater log, and the whole 3-fly rig was gone.

Cue up the second rig, a few casts later, in the willows and completely gone too. Repeat about half a dozen times...

Then, walking through the underbrush, my old Brodin net got hung up and snapped where the handle meets the hoop. Awesome.

To add more insult, most of the day I was slipping and sliding all over the riverbed as if some curmudgeon had applied motor oil to the rock surfaces...

So, I decided to continue fishing, moving upstream, catching a few small fish, but that was really it. Turns out at noon Dillon Dam was bumped to 800cfs, and I could tell something was happening because the whitewater was getting more turbulent. Cue all fish under rocks and hide until flows stabilize.

Finally, I said screw it and went home. Maybe I should have worked today

The best part is: I suppose it can't get much worse!
fredaevans, jslo, wjl and 2 others like this.

Last edited by cgrphoto; 06-30-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of THOSE days!

Dang, that sounds like a very tough day on the water. We all loose flies, but that is one of the reasons I tie my own, it doesn't hurt so much when I snag up and have to break off. I hope your hand feels better, best of luck with your hand. One thing I have noticed on tailwaters is that when the flows are changing, either up or down the fishing can get tough.
jslo likes this.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:09 PM

h2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura abouth2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura about

Dang -Well, think about the awesome day you are going to have down the road to make the average come out!
Had not quite so bad a moment myself - Ducking through some thick lodgepole pine to get around a bison last week, my fly came off the keeper, the line wrapped itself around a oine cone in a tree a gazillion times, then the fly buried itself in my finger up to the bend, effectively attaching me to a tree in a thick wood with a bison nearby - had to clip myself free!
mcnerney, fredaevans and jslo like this.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:16 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

@h2ofishfloatski: Ouch! Buried a #8 hook in my hand last summer - thank god it was barbless. Oh, the things we do...
jslo likes this.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

Those days are stale, we've all haddem lol!

One particular day comes to mind...about the same as your day, and just a wierd day. Frustrated and on my way out of the river, I cross the other side and lo and behold there are 4 or 5 nice trout holding right on an edge, like shadows slightly visible upstream of me. Swishing and gliding in the river flow and slurping sipping food as it goes by...so I think "yes! this is why I've had bad luck all day: so I can have an epic hit on a dry fly sight casting!"

Lol...wishful thinking and not so much. I tied on an #14 BWO, and just as I backcast from out of the bankside bushes behind me comes a few bats! I swear it. Must've disturbed 'em when I crossed. The bats started buzzing around me like hell broke loose, three of 'em dive bombing my head. Out of instinct I start flailing my fly rod at them like a lightsaber, leader, fly and hooks flying lol. After about 10 seconds the damn bats moved on...but you can imagine what my 9ft leader on a 3 wt with a couple feet of 6x tippet looked like after I lightsaber'd the bats lol......aaaargggh. Trout spooked gone, complete leader-fly-tippet birds nest....GAME OVER head to the car bahahahaha. Just an awful tease ending to a hard luck day on the river lol.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 PM

h2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura abouth2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura about

My worst day ended my season early a couple sept ago. Just got in a creek to cross it and hike up the other side, trapped my foot between two rocks, lost my balance, fell and snapped my leg at the top of the wading boot and about three other places in my ankle. I have slooowed down my wading as have several friends after that. No rush.

cgrphoto - I've had my share of days like that. I usually throw a book in the car. If it starts heading that way with a vengeance, I can park riverside with a book!
jslo likes this.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

dude that sounds awful snapping your leg at the wading boot! geez. How did you get out of the river? Painfully is my guess.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 PM

tx_newb is a jewel in the roughtx_newb is a jewel in the roughtx_newb is a jewel in the rough

This thread brings to mind another recent thread about what kind of booze we take to go fishing...
cgrphoto, jslo and agate like this.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:52 AM

agate is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: One of THOSE days!

----Booze----
dharkin likes this.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:16 AM

scottyb is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear...The blue has been rough, I went up there the day before you did. just mainly looking for spots. I ran into a poor guy who stepped into the blue only to be knocked down and taken downstream 100 yards. I found him at his car drying out all his stuff. Sorry to hear it's back up, glad I went to the Colo River instead yesterday.