The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 PM

troutn will become famous soon enoughtroutn will become famous soon enough
Default Golden area suggestions

I am going to be into the Golden area to fish on 7/11, 7/12 and 7/13. It has been suggested that I fish Cheeseman Canyon, Dream Stream and Decker's. Given the area snow run off, any recommendations to these areas?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:22 PM

agate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Golden area suggestions

Please check the water level before visiting those areas, or it can be disappointing.

Water level in Clear Creek near Golden is getting lower, still high , may be fishable when you visit Golden. If you do, discuss with local fly shops on techniques and flies.

Bear Creek is fishable, small fish but you can catch few. This is south of Golden between Morison and Evergreen.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:47 PM

sndmn11 will become famous soon enough

Are you traveling here strictly to fish? If not, how much time each day will you have to travel and fish?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:59 PM

tx_newb has a spectacular aura abouttx_newb has a spectacular aura about

Well the suggestions you were given would probably be some of the most crowded fishing you could find. From Golden you can get to RMNP in just over an hour...personally I'd put that on the short list, especially if you don't mind hiking a bit to find less crowded water.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndmn11 View Post
Are you traveling here strictly to fish? If not, how much time each day will you have to travel and fish?
Yes, we are there to just fish. I had chosen Golden to try and leverage my time.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndmn11 View Post
Yes, I am in the area to just fish. I had chosen the area in an attempt to leverage my time.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:23 PM

gotmilk is on a distinguished road

Like it was mentioned, flows are running pretty high still on Clear Creek and Bear Creek. Conditions will likely improve some before you arrive, but will still be higher flows than I'd prefer to fish either streams.

I second Rocky Mountain National Park or Cheesman Canyon, which is not so bad if you don't mind to do a little hiking to get away from the crowds. A little further of a drive is the South Platte river through Eleven Mile Canyon.

If you have some flexibility in your trip to drive over to the Arkansas River for a couple days, that's where I'd head.

Here are some fishing reports from area fly shops.
Trout's Fly Fishing
Blue Quill Angler fishing report
Kirk's Fly Shop fishing report
Royal Gorge Anglers fishing report
Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilk View Post
Like it was mentioned, flows are running pretty high still on Clear Creek and Bear Creek. Conditions will likely improve some before you arrive, but will still be higher flows than I'd prefer to fish either streams.

I second Rocky Mountain National Park or Cheesman Canyon, which is not so bad if you don't mind to do a little hiking to get away from the crowds. A little further of a drive is the South Platte river through Eleven Mile Canyon.

If you have some flexibility in your trip to drive over to the Arkansas River for a couple days, that's where I'd head.

Trout's Fly Fishing
Thanks! I have plans to go by Blue Quill to get my license and some up to date intel on 7/11.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilk View Post

Trout's Fly Fishing
Thanks for the info-could be a little early with the run off but we will make it work!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:11 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

The fishing is great around here right now. You have identified three fisheries which are world famous and that fame is also a drawback. Expect spooky fish and some crowds

My $.02

Dream Stream is tough sledding but if you are patient and sight fish , they can be had. It is definitely not a flail and hope type of fishery ( no offense intended )

Cheesman the crowds will disperse the further up the canyon you hike. The scenery is breath taking, so for that alone I would go there. Again these are heavily fished spooky trout. Plan on fishing tiny midges sometimes as deep as 10' or more. I have caught fish on dries in there but it is tough because the water is gin clear and the trout will scram before you get within 20' of the river bank if you are not super stealthy.

So basically Deckers is the same, if you go on the weekend which that looks like your plan it will be crowded. Plan on a nice 2 + mile hike up Cheesman for your best odds. Regardless of the fishing Cheesman is worth the walk.

If you want to just have fun and catch a slew of little trout, hit Bear Creek up out of Morrison
troutn likes this.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the updated info as I am packing up to go soon! Hope to have some great pics and/or videos to share.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
The fishing is great around here right now. You have identified three fisheries which are world famous and that fame is also a drawback. Expect spooky fish and some crowds

My $.02

Dream Stream is tough sledding but if you are patient and sight fish , they can be had. It is definitely not a flail and hope type of fishery ( no offense intended )

Cheesman the crowds will disperse the further up the canyon you hike. The scenery is breath taking, so for that alone I would go there. Again these are heavily fished spooky trout. Plan on fishing tiny midges sometimes as deep as 10' or more. I have caught fish on dries in there but it is tough because the water is gin clear and the trout will scram before you get within 20' of the river bank if you are not super stealthy.

So basically Deckers is the same, if you go on the weekend which that looks like your plan it will be crowded. Plan on a nice 2 + mile hike up Cheesman for your best odds. Regardless of the fishing Cheesman is worth the walk.

If you want to just have fun and catch a slew of little trout, hit Bear Creek up out of Morrison
I have a few newbies that would probably appreciate Bear Creek-Thanks!