The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 12:12 AM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions near I-90 MT/ID

Sorry if this is similar to a bunch of other current threads... but looking for some advice based on current water conditions. I am going to be driving from NE Minnesota to Tri-Cities WA next week as part of relocating there for a new job. I will be pulling a trailer holding enough of my possessions to last the rest of the summer, so I probably can't stray far from the main highways.

I should have one extra day during my trip, assuming everything goes okay getting loaded up and on my way. I've done a fair amount of fishing in MT and WY, but mostly the Bighorn or YNP area and down into WY; never west of Bozeman.

The Missouri is appealing since I've never been there, but I don't know much about how wadable it is this time of year.

So... if you had one day to stop somewhere between Duluth MN and Eastern WA next week (7/14 most likely), but no boat or time/certainty of schedule for a guided trip.... where would you go??

Any, yes... I know MT licenses are 2-day so I'll be wasting some money, but it would be a shame to drive through these states with all my fishing gear and not stop!

ryan
Old 07-07-2014, 03:31 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions near I-90 MT/ID

Not knowing how long your car/trailer may be, that will be a limiting factor, you'll drive right through Missoula, MT. (Sorry for the spelling there!) You've got the Clark Fork, Bitterroot, etc., in the immediate area.

A road map should give you a grip as to public parks, etc., are on the river banks.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 AM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions near I-90 MT/ID

Thanks Fred.

I'll be driving my F150 4x4 pulling a 10' enclosed trailer, so nothing major but I don't want to stray too far off my route. I've read a lot about huge snowpack and runoff this summer. Are rivers like the Bitterroot, Missouri, and Blackfoot in decent shape for wading?

Ryan