The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 AM

dlf58 is on a distinguished road
Default North Park early October?

Hello all, I have been on this site since Januruary. I live in north central Kansas. I have been fishing for close to fifty years, the last ten or so, fly fishing. My Dads youngest brother has visited North park for close to fifty years, many with my father, and other family members. I have joined the last 13 years. Always went the first part of September, some years the weather has been real nice, some it has been cold, 38 degrees one year for the high. This week he told me we are going the fourth of October, and spend the week. I am a little afraid we are going to freeze our butts off. He has a small camper,(no real heater). Do some of you locals have any thoughts on this? Thanks David
Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: North Park early October?

Hate to say depends but man after September 1 in the Rockies anything is a crapshoot. You will just have to pack for summer and winter conditions. You very we'll could have 70degree days and 25 degree nights.

Should be good, I love fishing the Rockies in the fall. I've got one experience in N Park after Labor Day but just wanted to say hi and hope the trip is great.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:25 AM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Yes unfortunately the answer is "depends". You'll probably have a good idea a couple weeks out, but not now. I've certainly fished North Park in mid-October before, but I considered those to be "bonus days" if you will.

The good news is the snowpack was so good up there this year that if you do have good weather you should have good fishing too
Old 08-12-2014, 09:33 PM

triggw is on a distinguished road

Get a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy. About $100. I keep one in my camper. Don't run it during the night, but great for warming up in the a.m. and when you get off the water.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:52 AM

dlf58 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. Kinda thought this could be the case. Just a little concerned about the cold as this annual trip is the highlight of my years fishing. Will have to think positive, and hope for the best.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 AM

larue is on a distinguished road

As others have said, no way to really be certain, but cool nights are very likely (25-35*), I would say plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Be sure to stop at North Park Anglers and talk to the guys there to get the latest stream reports for the area.