The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 PM

fiend540 is on a distinguished road
Default If you only had 3 hours of fishing at YNP?

So I'll be in yellowstone national park with the wife in a little over a week and would like to do some fishing. Unfortunately I'll only be able to get maybe 3 hours of on water fish time but it's better than nothing So I'm looking for advise on where I should check out so I can enjoy my limited time. We'll be staying in Grant Village on the south side of the park but I'm willing to drive, or hike to someplace good. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks guys
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM

cotter will become famous soon enoughcotter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: If you only had 3 hours of fishing at YNP?

My knowledge of fly fishing in Yellowstone is somewhat limited, but I thought I'd chime in based on my experiences there. I had some awesome days fishing the Lamar River and Soda Butte Creek. There are some big cutts in both rivers that are more than willing to take a well presented hopper or other terrestrial pattern. Those two might be a bit of a drive though if you said you're staying in the southern section of YNP.

The upper Snake river should be closer to you. I've also heard good things about the Shoshone river which should also be closer. That's about all I've got. Hopefully someone will comment that knows way more than I do about Yellowstone.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:21 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Don't forget Slough Creek too. Those 3 will be good in Sept.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 PM

h2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura abouth2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura about

The weather has been cooler (other than today) and the Firehole has been fishable a bit sooner than usual for fall. You are relatively close to the confluence of the Firehole and Nez Perce. Go early in the am. Park in the picnic grounds. Fish the Firehole beginning with the picnic ground riffle (Mattie's riffle), down through the confluence. You can also park in the pull off below the confluence and fish the looong riffle below that. Bring some small soft hackles to fish on a swing. If you are lucky it will be overcast and maybe a little rain. Definitely a taste of Yellowstone. Shoot, I forgot that they closed the road over the pass from Grant to Old faithful for road work!

Early am, before the wind and waves come up, wading out into Lewis Lake (just south of your location in Grant Village) as deep as you can with a sink tip and streamer ( a Spruce Fly maybe?) or use a floating line with a sink tippet; stripping it back can bring browns or lake trout. It's a bit early for prime fall fishing on Lewis, but worth a shot, especially as you can be on the water early am. You might also try Arnica Creek, just east of you along Yellowstone Lake. I haven't been in there in a couple of seasons.
smoothie likes this.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:29 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Look at a map of the Park. Yellowstone is a huge park.

Click the image to open in full size.

Grant Village is at the south 1/3 of the Park, away from the Lamar, Slough Creek, etc, which are at the north east side of the park, very near the northern border. You are not going to drive there and fish if you have 3 hours of free time.

Unfortunately, the Yellowstone Lake cutts have been hit hard by the Lake Trout. Similarly, the Yellowstone River in the Park will have poor fishing. I think the Firehole below the thermal features will be too warm.

The closest stream fishing will be the Firehole river above the Geyser Basins and also Nez Perce Creek.

Fly Fishing In Yellowstone National Park: Firehole River Hints

Fly Fishing the Flrehole River of Yellowstone National Park

Yellowstone National Park: Nez Perce Creek | Hiking in Wyoming

https://suite.io/chester-allen/1fsd2pq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwz9SRcK_JM
mcnerney and smoothie like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-03-2014, 12:28 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Three hours ain't much time to get anywhere in the Park from where your are staying. BUT...go for the Firehole...read this:

Blue Ribbon Flies

...and in a word... NECTOPSYCHE :

Parks' Fly Shop: Guide to Yellowstone Area Caddisfly Hatches

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-03-2014, 12:42 AM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

Last time I went to YNP fished the Lamar River right next to the road. People were stopping cars and waiting to see wolf packs near sunset. You might be able to fish a little longer maybe the evening and have the wifey and kid look for wolves bring binoculars. It's a beautiful valley and river.

Three hours ain't enough this has to be a trick question guys.
Hardyreels and smoothie like this.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:57 PM

smoothie will become famous soon enoughsmoothie will become famous soon enough

There are a lot of factors in play as you decide which river to fish for only 3 hours.

If you've never fished the Firehole, then that's where I would fish. It might get a bit too warm, but this summer has been very wet and cool, so you might be ok. I love parking at the Fountain Flats parking lot and hiking upstream a mile or so. There are a few little hot pots and mini geyers that spill over into the water, it's beautiful to fish in that type of setting.

If you want to catch a ton of little brooke trout, then go fish the upper Firehole or the Little Firehole river. However, it appears that there might be road closure / construction issues.

Here's another link that shows a good map of the park: http://d1njyp8tsu122i.cloudfront.net...ark_Map-11.pdf

The drive time from your home base to the desired river(s) needs to be considered. If you can make it work, it's a lot of fun to go fish the Lamar, or Soda Butte in northeast section of the park.

Also, you should go to the Ynet forum and ask the expert yellowstone fans about the construction issues. Check out this site: YNet Forums • Index page

For good updates on fishing reports check this site:
Fly Fishing In Yellowstone National Park

Have fun! Try and work it out to get more than just three hours

Also, go talk to Blue Ribbon Fly shop in W. Yellowstone for more info and to purchase your fishing license. You can't buy them online.
smilingduck likes this.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:41 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I'd go for 3 hours and somehow manage to get lost for another 12.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:24 PM

clay tonian will become famous soon enough

3 hrs from Grant? Firehole, no doubt...temps looking better
Click the image to open in full size.
smoothie likes this.