The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By ten_fiver
  • 2 Post By fyshstykr
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 4 Post By red feather troutbum
  • 2 Post By ten_fiver
  • 2 Post By fyshstykr
  • 3 Post By fyshstykr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 01:32 PM

ten_fiver is on a distinguished road
Default SW Wyoming PHW

I haven't had a lot of luck finding information about Project Healing Waters in this corner of Wyoming. I'm thinking Salt Lake might be my best bet, but I thought I'd put out a feeler to see if there's anything going on in western Wyoming.

I'm a vet, but I don't claim disability, so I'm looking more for opportunities to help out if I can. Thanks!
cpiercem likes this.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:50 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SW Wyoming PHW

Hey ten-five, you are in luck. Larry - an administrator of the site - lives in Pinedale and is active in CFR and PHW. I'm sure he'll see this soon.

Thank you for you service.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

If you do need a Utah connection you can contact James Tibbetts @ 801-995-0351 or email tibbitts.james4@gmail.com
cpiercem and ten_fiver like this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ten_fiver: Good question, but as far as I know there isn't any PHW presence in this part of Wyoming. I know there is an active program in Casper and another in Sheridan, WY. The past couple of years we have provided flies to the Casper program that were donated by members of the forum and they are always very appreciative of the donation that we provide. My wife is a nurse and recently got a job working for the Jackson, WY hospital doing home health here in Sublette county, she has a patient that fly fishes and also ties. We were looking for a PHW program nearby, but struck out, but when you get on the national PHW web site and look at where they have programs you will note that they are all located out of VA facilities, which when you think about it makes sense.

Here is the PHW program in Salt Lake:
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake City Healthcare System High Country Fly Fishers 500 Foothill Dr. Salt Lake City, UT 84148

Where can you find us?
cpiercem and ten_fiver like this.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:56 AM

red feather troutbum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
I haven't had a lot of luck finding information about Project Healing Waters in this corner of Wyoming. I'm thinking Salt Lake might be my best bet, but I thought I'd put out a feeler to see if there's anything going on in western Wyoming.

I'm a vet, but I don't claim disability, so I'm looking more for opportunities to help out if I can. Thanks!
We were in the same boat last year; worked through the VA in Laramie/Cheyenne to get everything set up for an event in July, intend to continue to sponsor it annually for years to come....I know that is a long haul & not really an option for you but it was the closest one I know of; maybe they would have contacts closer to your corner of the state? If not, local TU groups may be a good start to reach out to as well?
Old 12-22-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Ten_fiver: Good question, but as far as I know there isn't any PHW presence in this part of Wyoming. I know there is an active program in Casper and another in Sheridan, WY. The past couple of years we have provided flies to the Casper program that were donated by members of the forum and they are always very appreciative of the donation that we provide. My wife is a nurse and recently got a job working for the Jackson, WY hospital doing home health here in Sublette county, she has a patient that fly fishes and also ties. We were looking for a PHW program nearby, but struck out, but when you get on the national PHW web site and look at where they have programs you will note that they are all located out of VA facilities, which when you think about it makes sense.

Here is the PHW program in Salt Lake:
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake City Healthcare System High Country Fly Fishers 500 Foothill Dr. Salt Lake City, UT 84148

Where can you find us?
Thanks Larry,

Looking at their site I was surprised to see that no local chapters outside of VA facilities were listed. I wasn't sure if they just don't list small local chapters, or if Casper and Sheridan were it for Wyoming. I think I'll probably look into SLC.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by red feather troutbum View Post
We were in the same boat last year; worked through the VA in Laramie/Cheyenne to get everything set up for an event in July, intend to continue to sponsor it annually for years to come....I know that is a long haul & not really an option for you but it was the closest one I know of; maybe they would have contacts closer to your corner of the state? If not, local TU groups may be a good start to reach out to as well?
Thanks, and funny you should mention TU. Since I made the original post and saw Larry's reply, I started thinking that maybe TU would be a good starting point for this area. I seem to remember TU hosting a PHW event around here in the past (I could be wrong), so I think that they might be a good place to start.
mcnerney and cpiercem like this.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
If you do need a Utah connection you can contact James Tibbetts @ 801-995-0351 or email tibbitts.james4@gmail.com

ten_fiver,
Have you tried contacting this fellow? He can give you all the information on the program based out on the SLC VA.

Or, Mike Leigh. He's the Program Coordinator of the Utah Program.
1-435-901-8486.

The water where they hold their outings is about 35 miles West of you around the Echo Junction area on a private Ranch.
mcnerney and ten_fiver like this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
ten_fiver,
Have you tried contacting this fellow? He can give you all the information on the program based out on the SLC VA.

Or, Mike Leigh. He's the Program Coordinator of the Utah Program.
1-435-901-8486.

The water where they hold their outings is about 35 miles West of you around the Echo Junction area on a private Ranch.
No, I haven't yet. I figured I'd give a call after the holiday season settles down a bit. Thanks for the contact information!

That's interesting about using the Echo area, there's some nice spots down there. I had spent some time on private land in that area for work, and I couldn't help licking my chops thinking about how the fishing would be.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

The water they fish is a lake and 2 ponds on the Heiner Ranch. If you turn off @ Echo and head back toward Evanston on the old road on the North side of the Interstate the ranch entrance is a couple miles.

I think Mike is probably your best option. He's an International Pilot so if he doesn't answer, leave him a message, he's pretty good about calling back.
mcnerney, cpiercem and ten_fiver like this.