The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By ten_fiver
  • 2 Post By fyshstykr
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 4 Post By red feather troutbum
  • 2 Post By ten_fiver
  • 2 Post By fyshstykr
  • 3 Post By fyshstykr

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2014, 01:32 PM
ten_fiver's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Evanston, WY
Posts: 66
ten_fiver is on a distinguished road
Default SW Wyoming PHW

I haven't had a lot of luck finding information about Project Healing Waters in this corner of Wyoming. I'm thinking Salt Lake might be my best bet, but I thought I'd put out a feeler to see if there's anything going on in western Wyoming.

I'm a vet, but I don't claim disability, so I'm looking more for opportunities to help out if I can. Thanks!
cpiercem likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2014, 01:50 PM
dean_mt's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Western Montana
Posts: 3,146
dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SW Wyoming PHW

Hey ten-five, you are in luck. Larry - an administrator of the site - lives in Pinedale and is active in CFR and PHW. I'm sure he'll see this soon.

Thank you for you service.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2014, 05:08 PM
fyshstykr's Avatar
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Plain City, Utah.
Posts: 4,880
Blog Entries: 1
fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SW Wyoming PHW

If you do need a Utah connection you can contact James Tibbetts @ 801-995-0351 or email tibbitts.james4@gmail.com
cpiercem and ten_fiver like this.
__________________
John.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2014, 05:44 PM
mcnerney's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pinedale, WY
Posts: 13,524
Blog Entries: 49
mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SW Wyoming PHW

Ten_fiver: Good question, but as far as I know there isn't any PHW presence in this part of Wyoming. I know there is an active program in Casper and another in Sheridan, WY. The past couple of years we have provided flies to the Casper program that were donated by members of the forum and they are always very appreciative of the donation that we provide. My wife is a nurse and recently got a job working for the Jackson, WY hospital doing home health here in Sublette county, she has a patient that fly fishes and also ties. We were looking for a PHW program nearby, but struck out, but when you get on the national PHW web site and look at where they have programs you will note that they are all located out of VA facilities, which when you think about it makes sense.

Here is the PHW program in Salt Lake:
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake City Healthcare System High Country Fly Fishers 500 Foothill Dr. Salt Lake City, UT 84148

Where can you find us?
cpiercem and ten_fiver like this.
__________________
Larry

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2014, 10:56 AM
red feather troutbum's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Denver & Red Feather Lakes Colorado
Posts: 48
red feather troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SW Wyoming PHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
I haven't had a lot of luck finding information about Project Healing Waters in this corner of Wyoming. I'm thinking Salt Lake might be my best bet, but I thought I'd put out a feeler to see if there's anything going on in western Wyoming.

I'm a vet, but I don't claim disability, so I'm looking more for opportunities to help out if I can. Thanks!
We were in the same boat last year; worked through the VA in Laramie/Cheyenne to get everything set up for an event in July, intend to continue to sponsor it annually for years to come....I know that is a long haul & not really an option for you but it was the closest one I know of; maybe they would have contacts closer to your corner of the state? If not, local TU groups may be a good start to reach out to as well?
__________________
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. HST
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2014, 08:49 AM
ten_fiver's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Evanston, WY
Posts: 66
ten_fiver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SW Wyoming PHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Ten_fiver: Good question, but as far as I know there isn't any PHW presence in this part of Wyoming. I know there is an active program in Casper and another in Sheridan, WY. The past couple of years we have provided flies to the Casper program that were donated by members of the forum and they are always very appreciative of the donation that we provide. My wife is a nurse and recently got a job working for the Jackson, WY hospital doing home health here in Sublette county, she has a patient that fly fishes and also ties. We were looking for a PHW program nearby, but struck out, but when you get on the national PHW web site and look at where they have programs you will note that they are all located out of VA facilities, which when you think about it makes sense.

Here is the PHW program in Salt Lake:
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake City Healthcare System High Country Fly Fishers 500 Foothill Dr. Salt Lake City, UT 84148

Where can you find us?
Thanks Larry,

Looking at their site I was surprised to see that no local chapters outside of VA facilities were listed. I wasn't sure if they just don't list small local chapters, or if Casper and Sheridan were it for Wyoming. I think I'll probably look into SLC.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by red feather troutbum View Post
We were in the same boat last year; worked through the VA in Laramie/Cheyenne to get everything set up for an event in July, intend to continue to sponsor it annually for years to come....I know that is a long haul & not really an option for you but it was the closest one I know of; maybe they would have contacts closer to your corner of the state? If not, local TU groups may be a good start to reach out to as well?
Thanks, and funny you should mention TU. Since I made the original post and saw Larry's reply, I started thinking that maybe TU would be a good starting point for this area. I seem to remember TU hosting a PHW event around here in the past (I could be wrong), so I think that they might be a good place to start.
mcnerney and cpiercem like this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2014, 02:17 PM
fyshstykr's Avatar
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Plain City, Utah.
Posts: 4,880
Blog Entries: 1
fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SW Wyoming PHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
If you do need a Utah connection you can contact James Tibbetts @ 801-995-0351 or email tibbitts.james4@gmail.com

ten_fiver,
Have you tried contacting this fellow? He can give you all the information on the program based out on the SLC VA.

Or, Mike Leigh. He's the Program Coordinator of the Utah Program.
1-435-901-8486.

The water where they hold their outings is about 35 miles West of you around the Echo Junction area on a private Ranch.
mcnerney and ten_fiver like this.
__________________
John.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2014, 04:15 PM
ten_fiver's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Evanston, WY
Posts: 66
ten_fiver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SW Wyoming PHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
ten_fiver,
Have you tried contacting this fellow? He can give you all the information on the program based out on the SLC VA.

Or, Mike Leigh. He's the Program Coordinator of the Utah Program.
1-435-901-8486.

The water where they hold their outings is about 35 miles West of you around the Echo Junction area on a private Ranch.
No, I haven't yet. I figured I'd give a call after the holiday season settles down a bit. Thanks for the contact information!

That's interesting about using the Echo area, there's some nice spots down there. I had spent some time on private land in that area for work, and I couldn't help licking my chops thinking about how the fishing would be.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2014, 02:02 AM
fyshstykr's Avatar
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Plain City, Utah.
Posts: 4,880
Blog Entries: 1
fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SW Wyoming PHW

The water they fish is a lake and 2 ponds on the Heiner Ranch. If you turn off @ Echo and head back toward Evanston on the old road on the North side of the Interstate the ranch entrance is a couple miles.

I think Mike is probably your best option. He's an International Pilot so if he doesn't answer, leave him a message, he's pretty good about calling back.
mcnerney, cpiercem and ten_fiver like this.
__________________
John.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SE Wyoming robinfick Rocky Mountain Range 15 10-22-2014 07:20 AM
New guy, SW Wyoming ten_fiver Member Introductions 9 07-24-2014 07:50 PM
Hello from Wyoming Shake Member Introductions 1 04-30-2009 01:56 PM
Hello from Wyoming. yetirydr Member Introductions 3 08-24-2008 05:05 PM
Wyoming, Here we come 2PawsRiver Rocky Mountain Range 1 08-17-2008 01:14 AM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.